Wednesday 13 November 2013

Happy Birthday to my sister friend woman and big sister

Today my sister turns 64! 64 years old. My eldest sister. Making me think about the years that have flown by. The bridges we have crossed as sisters. The matriarch of my family, my direct family. How can she be 64 already? That means we are mature women, nearing the end of our life cycle. The Krone stage as it used to be called. Meaning in 14 years I will be her age and she in her late 70s. Wow amazing how quickly the cycles of life come and go.
As I look back over time, I think of the varying stages of our relationship. In my early years how I used to admire her and wanted to be just like her. She and my older sister just seemed so cool. They had the best clothes. They drove fancy cars. Had great parties. Lots of cool friends. They seemed like women of the world to my small girlhood world. Because they were so much older than me, I always had stars in my eyes when I looked at them and their lives.
Then our mother died and my sister stepped in as there was no one else for us. The first one on the scene when my dad realized my mom was in trouble. The one who remained when she was gone. Giving up her life so we could have one. She tried her best to hold us together. Always encouraged me to be the best I could be just by being there and rewarding me with trips whenever I placed in the top three at school. Little did she know just how much of an effect she had on my life by showing me that she was interested in me.
Little did I know at the time just how much of an influence she was having on my life. By taking me with her. Opening my eyes to the wider world. Giving me wings to see there was much more beyond the tiny confines of my 21 mile square island home. Waiting just for me. Allowing me to understand there was really a big wide world out there beyond the ocean’s horizon that was waiting for me. Beckoning me. Calling my name.
I think of those teenage years when I was dark and moody and felt like Cinderella and how truly my sister felt like my fairy godmother on many occasions by all that she gave to me even when she could no longer bear to be in our same household, she never lost touch with me. Always coming back for me. To rescue me from the doldrums I could have easily fallen into and letting me know there was so much more for me.
And now we are adults. Sister friend women who though we are very different share a very special bond that holds us together regardless of where our life paths may take us. She has walked this earth for 64 years and in those years has been a support for many people. Has a heart of gold even though she maintains a tough exterior, I know she would do and give anyone anything even if it means she would have to go without herself. That’s just the kind of woman she is and today I acknowledge my big sister for helping to mold me into the woman I am today. Without her I would not have been able to see beyond the confines of my physical trappings. I would not have been able to see the vastness of the world that existed just for me.
By investing in my future, my sister helped me to know in order for a child to flourish, we must invest in his future to allow her to see the vastness of the world that awaits him as I do for my children now. Even if it means I have to do without as did she. My sister taught me an invaluable lesson, the cycles of life continue as we give back to make way for the future.

So I am wishing my big sister, Patricia Butterfield, the best birthday wishes today with love and gratitude, honour and respect. Namaste my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment