Thursday 7 March 2013

A lesson in faith


Yesterday morning I met the most amazing young man. My taxi drier from Armenia. He had just completed his night job as Head Valet and was starting his second job driving taxi for the day. And I had the pleasure of engaging him in conversation by asking him when he ever sleeps.
By asking that question, I opened the door for nearly an hour of enlightenment from my unexpected angel. My inspiration from an unexpected source. Reminding me to never judge anyone until you have walked in his shoes. My taxi driver was born in Jordan but grew up in Iraq and because he was Christian rather than Muslim, his existence and his families existence was not easy.
His mother died from cancer when he was twelve years old. His father, he said, never got over the death of his mother so within four months he followed her dying of a broken heart. He told me how every day after his mother’s death, his father would say your mother is coming for me. She came for me last night in my dream, and soon I will be with her. And so said so done. His father died leaving him and two sisters and a brother.
My taxi driver was only twelve years old but had to get his father prepared for the funeral. In doing so he missed three days of school. On his return he was trying to find out what he had missed and because he was Christian and living in a Muslim country, he attended a school with Muslim teachers. His teacher became angry with him for speaking in class and basically called him a waste just like his father and berated the twelve year old broken boy so much that he snapped and beat the teacher to a pulp. The teacher was taken to the hospital and my taxi driver was thrown out of school. But worse he was forced to flee because his teacher was from a respectable Muslim family. And because of what he had done to the teacher, my taxi driver had put his life in danger.
He existed on the fringes of society for quite some time. Unemployable. Stateless and lost. But never lost his faith and belief in miracles. And then three years ago he sought refugee status in the United States as a result of a dream he had showing the name Houston. He was granted asylum in the United States . In Houston no less.
He entered the United States three years ago speaking no English. From a different culture.  A different world. Understanding no one. But because he has tremendous faith and trust in God, he just prayed and asked for guidance until he worked his way up from being a stock person in a shop to head valet at a major hotel. He also owns his own taxi that is paid off. And he supports his sisters back in Jordan by sending them money every week.
Despite all the adversity he has been through. Despite the hard knocks. Despite the path he has been given, not once did I hear my taxi driver complain. Not once did I hear him try to blame anyone for the tragedy he has endured. Not once did he feel sorry for himself or ask for pity.
Instead he looks at life as a gift. A gift from God. He said everything happens for a reason. Everything is in God’s hands. He doesn't worry. He just knows that if he acts from a place of purity and is always giving, he will always receive back what he gives and then some. And life has shown him that on many occasions. He does not lose faith.
He asks God for what he wants and then goes about doing and when the time is right he is always rewarded according to how he has lived. I got out of the taxi with that young man yesterday morning feeling like I had been in the presence of an angel.  A messenger from the Universe. A man of faith. A sage wise beyond his years reminding me to behold all the abundance that surrounds me. To be grateful for everything that comes my way and to be open and receptive to the gifts and treasures of the Universe because in doing so I am opening myself to receive the love and light that is ever present in our Universe. Allowing me to  shine that love and light on others as well. As my taxi driver did for me yesterday morning.
Life may not be easy. Life may take us down paths we never dreamed possible. But when I meet people like my taxi driver yesterday who has had to find his way since he was twelve years old and still retain the twinkle of possibility I saw shining in his eyes, I know the Universe is reminding me that life is all about the choices I make even in my greatest adversity. Life is about faith, love and trust.
Remembering always as Emmanuel Teney says, “ As your faith is strengthened, you will find that there is no longer the need to have a sense of control, that things will flow as they will, and that you will flow with them, to your great delight and benefit.”  Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment