Wednesday 26 December 2012

Pyjama day in silence and reverence


Another Christmas Day come and gone. In between time is upon us now. The great and highly anticipated Christmas Day has now passed. Leaving somewhat of a void. A feeling of emptiness. Leaving me and so many others trying to recover from the hype.
Today is Boxing Day, another holiday here in Bermuda, Canada and England, but not the US. This Day is traditionally for going to visit people not seen on Christmas Day. My husband is ill. My children are exhausted and so I’m trying to decide if it’s best for us to just be still for the day and let everyone have the chance to catch themselves rather than accepting every invitation we have and going out.
It’s even an in between day outside – sun trying to shine but the clouds coming to obscure the sun as quickly as it breaks through. There is a gentle wind blowing and a slight chill, by Bermuda standards, in the air. Feeling like it is telling me sometimes we just need to be still to give our inner voices the chance to be heard. Rather than rushing about and drowning out its advice.
I am sitting in my cosy new robe my family gave me for Christmas. Bundled up like the abominable snow woman and feeling just as content to be like this all day long. There’s nothing like a pyjama day when we give ourselves permission to laze around, shutting out all the outside noise and chatter and instead surrendering to the silence. Have I made my decision? Is this where I will be all day long? Sounds like a good idea to me.
Casting aside all guilt of having to be some place else today, I am accepting the only place I need to be is where my heart feels the most content, my soul the most nourished and my inner voice the most heard. So if it resonates that home is where I am meant to be with my family doctoring my husband, allowing my children to remain in pyjamas all day long and giving myself permission to do so as well, that is where I will be.
I am listening to the sound of the birds chirping. The silent sound of nature growing and expanding. The gentle and freeing harmony of the breeze. I am listening to the sound of life moving on. Sweeping me up in its currents. Gently pushing me along. Guiding me. Helping me. Filling me with faith, hope and trust as I surrender to its rhythm. Leaving behind the temptation of needing to be a part of anything or anyone. Instead accepting I am as I am. Where I need to be. Embracing all that is me.
Listening to the sound of silence. Shutting out all outside noise. Surrendering to surrender sounds like a perfect way to end the Christmas season to me. 
“Quiet is peace. Tranquility. Quiet is turning down the volume knob on life. Silence is pushing the off button. Shutting it down. All of it. - Amir” 
 @
Khaled Hosseini, @The Kite Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment