Monday 24 December 2012

A wonderful start to the holiday season. A perfect end to a magical time in @NYC


Saturday was one of those magical family days when everything fell into place. When I felt like I had stars in my eyes as well as my family. When I felt like together we could conquer anything because we were so full of love, light, abundance and gratitude.
We woke up in our lovely hotel, The Benjamin, to snow flurries, miniscule but enough for my daughter to be super excited that it was snowing outside. Probably overlooked by the average New Yorker. But for my daughter every little dusting that fell was beyond magical. Proving wonder is in the eye of the beholder.
We took the train in search of Sarabeth's on 5th Avenue but never found it. And because it was one of those cold and windy days where it feels like the wind could rip right through your skin, we decided to find a restaurant, any restaurant within striking distance of our final destination to eat in.
We ended up at Ruby Tuesday's in Times Square and though it was not a restaurant that either of us would have chosen, it turned out to be the perfect restaurant for all of us. There was something for everyone on the menu. And it was nearly across the street from The Foxwood Theatre where we were going to see Spiderman. Reminding me that even though we set out with one destination in mind we often end up in a place different to what we thought but exactly where we are meant to be. Signaling that maybe Sarabeth's would not have been a good choice for us all at that time. Faith restored the Universe put us where we need to be.
We then took our seats at the Foxwood Theatre, right in the fly zone for Spiderman. Perfect seats with Spiderman landing so close to us several times we could have touched him. The only negative was we had a family sitting behind us who ate food the entire first half crinkling paper and making all sorts of annoying noises during the show. With my husband and I looking behind hoping they would get the message and stop. Instead they became indignant during the intermission when they talked amongst themselves loud enough for us to hear them. Accusing us of thinking we had a sense of entitlement that we felt they did not have the right to eat their popcorn.
They went on and on about us even though they did not speak directly to us. I have to admit it took everything within my power not to turn round and tell those ladies off but I didn't because we had our children with us and they had their children with them. I did not want children to see adults getting ignorant so instead I closed my eyes and asked for forgiveness for thinking the thoughts I had of those ladies and then I forgave them for their behaviour.
I asked the Universe to shift my energy from negative to positive. And as soon as I felt my energy shift they stopped talking about us and moved on to other things. Teaching me that often our energy helps to create or accelerate the negative energy of others and when we let go, the energy shifts as well. We can’t shift other people's energy but we can change our own.
And then we ended our evening with my family ice skating in Rockefeller Centre. A beautiful and awe inspiring sight with people of all different walks of life, ages, beliefs and goals all coming together to feel free and uninhibited on the ice. Faces full of smiles against the backdrop of the huge Christmas tree, giant toy soldiers, Christmas decorations, and people full of Christmas cheer. I did not join my family on the ice. Instead choosing to sit on the sidelines inhaling the wonderful energy that was free flowing in the rink. Watching with joy each time my children and husband grew more confident on the ice. Watching their faces change from fear to relaxation. Their body language from tension to acceptance.
And then our final meal in New York was at the wonderful The National restaurant with a menu crafted by Iron Chef George Zakarian. My daughter’s dream to go to an Iron Chef’s restaurant. The food and atmosphere was superb. Each of us talking with stars in our eyes about the escape we had experienced together as a family - something for everyone. Grateful that we are in a position to treat ourselves from time to time. For having quality time together. Feeling so much joy, love and abundance with my family.
And for bringing joy into the hearts of others, peace to myself and those I encountered, enjoying the journey rather than focusing on the destination, I am truly grateful. What an absolute wonderful start to the Christmas Season.
@The Benjamin Hotel
@Rockefeller Center
@George Zakarian
@The National
@Spiderman
@Ruby Tuesday
@New York City
@ The Foxwood Theater

No comments:

Post a Comment