Tuesday 21 February 2012

Where there is a will, there is a way


You know the expression, “where there is a will there is a way”. That was my experience this morning when I tried to write my blog. I dropped my personal laptop and now it has a cracked screen so I can’t see the top of the screen. My other laptop would not allow me to get online. I felt like my lifeline had been cut off. My writing means everything to me and I could not write. I tried everything to move the crack because it is right at the top of the screen so it obscures the instructions for most of the sites and programmes I use. I was panic stricken. Frozen.
What was I going to do? How was I going to write my thoughts down? More importantly I questioned what my cracked screen was trying to tell me. What was the fact that I could not get on the Internet trying to tell me? Was I not supposed to write while travelling? Was my writing over?
All sorts of self doubt and fear clouded my brain. I had left my grateful journal home. And now my screen was cracked. I thought for a moment about how I would still be able to connect with my inner self.
Despite not having my journal to write in, I closed my eyes and gave thanks anyway for arriving safely at my destination. My second flight smooth compared to the first. And the gratitude spread through me. I relaxed and decided to accept my cracked screen for what it was.
After opening my eyes, I realised the hotel has a Clubroom so guests can uses computers and the Internet. And that the saying when one door closes another opens is really true. No my personal laptop is not working and I could not access the Internet from my room but those were only obstacles for me to create a solution. And I did. I got dressed and rushed downstairs to write.
So here I am writing again. Wishing I had put my personal laptop in its proper place in my laptop bag so that when my bag fell over it was protected. But I hadn’t so there was nothing I could do to change that situation. I can’t go back and repack it. It’s broken and I have to get it fix. However what I did do to find a solution to my conundrum was to change the way I was reacting to my broken laptop and lack of Internet access. And now I am happily writing feeling my mind, body and soul opening back up again. Relief. Joy.
Because I know I have been given another opportunity to learn this life lesson, instead of focusing on what we can’t do all the time, we need to focus on what we can do. Open our eyes and see that what we can do is right there in front of us. It’s just whether we are willing to shift our way of thinking in order to find the solution we are looking for. My crackled laptop and lack of Internet access taught me that. "Where there is a will, there is a way." And for this lesson I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment