Monday 27 February 2012

A weekend to remember


I have to say I spent the last day and a half with my husband at Tucker’s Point celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary together in absolute bliss. Just the two of us like the couple that met and fell in love some 22 years ago. It was divine, heaven sent. And absolutely and totally what the doctor ordered.
I did not write my blog yesterday because I decided to spend the time with my husband. No computers. No television. No blackberries. Just the two of us. It was blissful. Though I have to admit I was writing the whole time in my mind. Looking at the scenery, the people, the special moments my husband and I shared. Each thought, sight, sound forming a sentence in my head. A story. A tribute. But I had to let the thoughts pass because I did not want to interrupt our time.
The time away was a surprise for my husband and it turned out better than I ever expected. We arrived at the beautiful Tucker’s Pont at 2.20 in the afternoon on Saturday. We were greeted by the doorman with a warm and friendly welcome. My husband went to park the car which gave me the opportunity to finalise all the surprises I had in store for him. The welcome by the reception desk was unbelievable.
I was told Alex, the lady I had made all the plans with, had upgraded us to a suite for our 20th anniversary. Lovely. Then Mr. Paul Telford came out to tell how the evening was going to work out. I felt so special knowing everyone at the hotel was as excited as I was about our anniversary celebration.
We then went to our suite which was stunning and tastefully done – almost like something out of Martha’s Vineyard. High ceilings. Old world decor. Cosy yet roomy. Oozing just that bit of romance so desired at a time like that. Then to add to the ambiance, our suite overlooked Castle Harbour and was in the lee of the wind. We stood on the balcony looking out at the blue ocean, feeling like we had totally escaped from the everyday and had stepped into an oasis of love. The colours of the Bermuda ocean are like no other blue anywhere else in the world. We breathed in the beautiful scenery. Hugging each other. Grateful for each other and the abundance in our lives.
Next on the agenda was a couple massage in the amazing spa. The spa is nestled in its own wing in the hotel with a pool and garden area to die for.  We were met by our masseuses and spent the next 80 minutes being pampered and relaxed. After our massages, we sat out in the lounge chairs surrounding a long rectangular fountain pool flowing ever so gently. Listening to the soothing sounds of running water. Restful. Sublime. We sat under the most feminine pink umbrellas. So wistful and oh so romantic. Just the two of us again. No one else around. The sun was starting to fade a bit but was trying its best to give us its last burst of warmth as we lay enjoying every minute of the serenity we were surrounded by. Inhaling. Exhaling. Clutching each other’s hand. No words spoken. No words needing to be spoken. The atmosphere and love between us was more than any words that could be spoken at that moment.
We then went back to our room. Slowly this time. No rush. Allowing us to notice how elegant the hallway to our room was. Almost floor to ceiling windows along the left side of the hallway allowing the light to stream in, giving the feeling of endless space. The high ceilings. The wide hall giving an even more open and airy feeling. We stopped half way down the hall and took in the view from the double doors strategically placed so one could admire the infinity pool appearing not to end, flowing into the trees below then seemingly opening to Harrington Sound just beyond. Giving the feel of water, meeting woods, meeting the Sound. Beautiful. Pleasing to the eye. We hugged again.
Then we walked back to our room to find a note from Mr. Telford congratulating us on our 20th anniversary with chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne chilled on ice. Aah we both exhaled. Popping open the bottle of champagne feeding each other strawberries as we sat on our balcony again taking in the breathtaking scenery many would die to experience. Gratitude. Love, Peace. Abundance. All in one.
We enjoyed our room for the next few hours. Just the two of us. Finding each other again, Exploring, Talking. Loving. Joy. Then it was time to dress for dinner. I had chosen a special cobalt blue dress, the very colour I had worn some 22 years before on our first date. To remind my husband of from whence we had come. The journey he had spoken about on our first date being more important than the destination. The path less travelled being the most fulfilling.
My husband looking handsome in his tux. Both of us giddy from excitement of love - in anticipation of what lay ahead. We walked to the Library where more champagne awaited us. We sat next to the fireplace when our waiter came in and lit it for us further adding to the romance of the moment. We held hands. Looking into each other eyes. Each other’s souls. Feeling the love between us. My husband blown away because I had chosen to wear the cobalt blue dress. Telling me how beautiful I looked. How I was still the beautiful woman he had first met all those years ago.
Then it was time for dinner. The next surprise for my husband. Our dinner was not going to be in the impersonal restaurant but rather set up and served in our suite. My husband even more appreciative of the fact that I had dressed up just for him. Not to impress anyone else but for his eyes only.
To say the dinner was one of the most intimate experiences of our marriage is an understatement. From the food choices I had made to the wine, to dinner being served in our room. Everything was perfect. I had researched the wines to make sure I had the best choice for my wine connoisseur husband. And it turned out I did not disappoint. He loved it. Smooth he said about the wine.
We finished dinner and sat on our couch in each other’s arm talking about our journey. Loving each other. Being totally with each other. No one else.
Then yesterday morning we woke up to sunshine streaming through our windows. We took our time getting out of bed. Relaxed. No stress. Ordered room service.  Had our breakfast out on our balcony overlooking the Harbour. Clear blue skies. Wispy white clouds. Gentle breeze. Love in the air. Love all around.
We ended our stay rather reluctantly by walking through the picturesque grounds. Admiring the colour burst of flowers surrounding the crochet lawn, the winding paths taking us to the infinity pool we had admired from afar. The wonderful sun on our backs. Walking back through the arches to see the ocean on the other side. Holding hands like the young and carefree people we were when we had first met. With stars in our eyes, Hope in our step. Love flowing through us. Renewed. Rejuvenated. Ready to step out of our oasis back to reality with the memories of the time we had spent totally immersed in each other. Together. With no intrusions. No distractions. Just us loving each other once again.
Tucker’s Point is definitely a place that will forever hold special memories for us from the treatment we were given, the level of service and the total feeling of escape –a reward for all the darkness we have endured as we basked in the light for our 20th. Ready now to endure what’s to come. Remembering always love conquers all. And the journey is far more important than the destination. The road less travelled is the most fulfilling as long as we remember love.

No comments:

Post a Comment