Thursday 16 February 2012

The gift of the outdoors


Yesterday was one of those days that was sent by the Universe for us all to enjoy. Pristine, crisp air. No humidity. Fluffy white clouds. Perfect sunshine. It was one of those days that reminded me just how much we have to be grateful for.
I decided to walk to my doctor’s appointment yesterday because of the beauty of the day. As I walked I marvelled at being outside again. Since starting work I have not been outside much during the work week. I forgot how fresh the air can feel on my face. I forgot how wonderful it feels to inhale deeply. I forgot how nourishing the sun can feel on my skin. I felt so much more alert after experiencing the outdoors. I have decided that each day I am going to make myself go outside even if it’s for a few minutes just to get that fresh air into my lungs rejuvenating my mind, body and soul.
I drive in to work in the mornings and park under the building. Take the elevator up to my office. Once I am inside I have no idea what the day is like outside because I have no windows. And because of the convenience of underground parking, I was driving everywhere I needed to go. But after experiencing the great outdoors yesterday I realise I have been cheating myself of fresh air and a free chance to rejuvenate.
I am so grateful for recognising the need to be outdoors particularly on a day when it is the epitome of perfection.  I know I can’t waste those days inside ever again. I have to get out and smell the air, inhale it, appreciate it. I have to walk in the sunshine relishing in the fact that every cell in my body feels pure joy for being outside. I know it is essential to nourish my mind, body and soul.
Looking around at the outdoors made me realise every single day there is something to be grateful for even if it’s as simple as the beauty of the sky. The trees. The sound of birds chirping. Waking up in the morning. Get outside and feel the life come back into your soul. Increasing your serotonin levels naturally without the chocolate!
Try it. You might like it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment