Monday 8 September 2014

Life is definitely coloured by the lens through which we view it

Life is definitely coloured by the lens through which we view it. We determine what we see, feel and hear by the way we approach life. Some of us look at life from a perspective of gratitude and harmony. Others, no matter how much they have, are always looking for more. And because of this become envious of others very quickly by overlooking all they have been blessed with.
This weekend was one of those weekends that allowed me to recognise just how much I have to be grateful for. Just how much I have that is so right compared to what it so wrong. It was a weekend of family togetherness. Each of us coming out of our rooms, out of our individual spaces and being together. Truly together. Saturday, our daughter wanted to take her friends out on our little boat. Swelling my husband's heart that she wanted to not only go out on his new baby; but she wanted to invite friends along too. So as a result, my son and I were roped into going by my husband to chaperon and to help with the lines on the boat.
Before going, my son and  I were both thinking we had better things to do than to go out on the boat but we went along reluctantly. Not wanting to ruin Sedona's joy. And were both of us glad we did. We both ended up really enjoying being out on the water. The ocean was so clear we could see right to the bottom. The atmosphere perfect. The sky oh so blue. When we anchored the boat in the beautiful and picturesque Paradise Lakes, even the fish came along to enjoy our party as a school of grunts with some snappers swam alongside the boat. The water too inviting for us to remain on the boat, so all of us went in for a swim. The water refreshing. All of us playing in the water and having a great time together.
Yes you read right - me in the water - the non water person - twice in one week! And I thoroughly enjoyed myself even swimming out to a buoy with my husband and the children. Well not really swimming but paddling along in my own way but feeling very proud of myself for doing so.
Then yesterday was my husband's job family fun day at the beach. Again taking us near to the ocean. Looking out over the beach seeing all the people basking in the sun, families outside enjoying themselves together the good old fashioned way without a lot of extravagance, again my heart felt full. I felt like the luckiest person in the world to be born in a place where there is more sunshine than there is rain ( well almost except for the month of August). Where there is the beautiful ocean that surrounds us everyday. Pink sand beaches that feels so soft against my feet. Where there is so much greenery because of the August rains - everything looks so lush. So full . So abundant.
My daughter brought along one of her girlfriends with her and they stayed in the water the whole time. Their hands wrinkled by the time they got out. My son, who normally stays in his room, spent the afternoon in the water as well. The three of them snorkelling together appreciating the beautiful fish swimming in the water from large parrot fish to cow fish to yellow grunts. When my son came out of the water, he said, he wishes he could live in  the water, he loves it so much. My Pisces son who I reminded of his birth sign telling him he truly is a fish at heart.
Just as the fun day was coming to an end, the heavens opened and the rain came down. A good downpour just to cool the air a bit. The children stayed in the ocean not even bothered by the rain while my husband and I sat under the tents also not bothered by the rain as we laughed and chatted with people that were there. Making new friends, reacquainting with others.
As we were leaving the fun day, the rain clouds long since vanished and the sun out in full, we came across a lady with her children and she commented on the party noodles I had in my hand asking me if we had enjoyed the party. I believe she was a tourist. I told her we had. I then asked her how her day had been. To which she responded, "It was good until the rain came."
I have to admit I was taken aback by her comment. I could not believe she had allowed a downpour which had lasted all of about half an hour to colour her day. To not appreciate that the rain came for such a short time during the day that it seemed so insignificant to the rest of the beautiful sunny, picture perfect day.
I answered her by saying, "And  look what came after the rain, this beautiful evening."
As we were driving back home, we talked about the woman and how she had allowed such a short time of rain to be what she remembered from the day. Making me realise that sometimes we focus on what goes wrong rather than on what goes right. We allow the smallest mishap to colour our view of the world rather than looking at all that goes well.
If only we could remember to focus on that which makes us feel good rather than on what does not and to express gratitude for all we have rather than being anxious for what we do not, what a wonderful world it would be.
It's Monday morning let's all try to express gratitude for all that we have. For waking up this morning. Rather than being angry or vengeful for what we don't have. Because I truly believe life is coloured by the lens through which we look. So it is up to us to change the lens in order to have the life we really want.
Happy Monday everyone and have a wonderful week filled with gratitude and love. Focussing on our blessings rather than on our trials, changing the lens through which we see life, so we can truly see just how much we have to be grateful for. Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment