Tuesday 26 August 2014

It's none of my business what you think of me

As many of those who are close to me and even those not so close to me know by now, I am a huge fan of Kerry Washington so I watch everything about her. And last night I watched her interview at the #BlogHer '14 convention and realized even more just how phenomenal this woman is. Not because she is perfect but because she is so authentic and so true to who she is that she radiates truth and light. Some of what she said in this interview - the link below so you can watch this amazing woman - caused me to write this ode.

"It's none of my business what you think of me"
No truer words could be spoken from the mouth of Kerry Washington.
What follows is in my words inspired by the wisdom of Kerry Washington

It's none of my business
What you think of me
I am here to be
Who I came here to be
Not who you want me to be
When you cast stones at me
You are casting stones at yourself
Not at me
Your comments used to stick
Your barbs used to get under my skin
But now I know if you're throwing stones at me
It's because you wish you were me
I don't need you to confirm or affirm my work
To affirm or confirm me
That confirmation
That affirmation
Can only come from me
Deep deep down within me
Only from me
When I am unashamed to acknowledge
I am Woman
With a capital W
A Phenomenal woman
In the words spoken by the late great Dr. Maya Angelou
I am a woman who has been through so much
Endured so so much
And still I have come out
With my back erect
My spine strong
My head high
My posture tall
My spirit unbroken
Many a dark day has come my way
And sometimes I have felt and will feel lost
But what I know for sure
As a woman over 50 is
I have no one to prove anything to
Nothing to do to prove who I am
No one can make me feel whole
Except me
And only me
When you shun me
Or try to belittle me
Or talk about me behind my back
I know more than ever
It is because you love something about me
That makes you hate yourself
Not me
Your hate has nothing to do with me
Your rejection has nothing to do with me
But everything to do with yourself
Neither of us is perfect
If we were
We would not be here
We would be in the holy land
The sacred land
Where only perfection  resides
Thank you Kerry Washington for all you do
For showing me
By being you
That we are all complicated
As women
As people for that matter
None of us has the right to judge or condemn another
Because each one of us has done something
Or will do something
That we are not proud of
We are all doing the best we can
From our own level of awareness
Just because your awareness level may be different from mine
And mine from yours
When we remember it is our differences
That make us unique
Shapes who we are
Then we all understand
What you say about me
Has nothing to do with me
It is a reflection of who you are
And what you stand for
Because as I said before
And I will say again
It's none of my business
What you think of me
I am here to be the woman
I asked to come here to be
Not who you want me to be
Never who you want me to be
Because
I am uniquely me
As you are uniquely you
Namaste

Link to the Interview with Kerry Washington:

http://youtu.be/Kvo1pkGtP9k

No comments:

Post a Comment