Tuesday 19 August 2014

It is the simple things in life that bring us the most joy

Yesterday was one of those joyful days that stripped away all lines between parenthood and children. When there was no divide between who was the parent and who was the child.
As the mist lifted off the mountains, the rain stopped, and the light of the sun glistened on the green trees on the mountains, so did the divide between my husband and I, as the parents, and our children. We became peers, equals in joy.
Our day began without plan. Without expectation. Without hurry. We just went with the flow from the moment we woke up. From the moment we joined as a family unit yesterday morning. By not putting pressure on each other to do anything or to be anywhere we ended up opening ourselves to the abundance of the Universe and revelling in its flow. Allowing it to take us wherever we were meant to go; not where we ought to go. And as a result we ended up everywhere that brought us pure joy.
We left our condo with the mist rising slowly over the mountains with hints of light threatening to take over from the grey. As we walked out, our daughter who is the queen of selfies took  our first family selfie together. Bringing our truly out of the dark ages and into the light.
Capturing in that moment in that one photo the joy we felt for being reunited. For being together again as a family in an environment where there are no expectations. No deadlines. No homework. No one asking anything of us except for us. The selfie reflecting the pure and unbounded joy.
From there we went back to our local, "The Mix" for a late breakfast, early lunch and just hung out there talking about life. Sparring with each other about just about everything. Each showing the different personalities and interests we have but at the same time a love that binds us in ways that is indescribable. My husband squeezing my hand as we both felt the love that we share as a family without having to say a word.
We then went on a walk through the bike trail. Stopping under a newly constructed bridge to throw pebbles in the water to see who could throw the farthest, who could make their pebble skip the most. My son trying to teach me how to throw a pebble properly. Our laughter filling the otherwise silence of nature.
Once we finished our walk we came back to have a mother son against father daughter ping pong match so we thought. One match that turned into about ten because mother son kept beating father daughter. The atmosphere fun. The lines blurring between parent and child as we became just people playing ping pong. Messing with each other, supporting each other and just being together.
And then it was time to go to dinner. During which my son and I got into a huge debate about technology and its effect on young people. Its effect on him. Both of us getting angry with the other because neither of us felt the other was listening. My husband and daughter quiet as the tension between my son and I escalated. Ego getting in the middle of our discussion as we started to really argue.
Me surprised by him not backing down. Him disappointed with the approach I was taking. My daughter's face changing to hurt by the minute until I asked her what was wrong. She telling me I was not being fair to her brother and explaining why. Me feeling like the daughter and her like my mother. How did the roles reverse I thought and how could this eleven year old be putting me in my place -  not disrespectfully but matter of factly. I could not argue with her because she was right. I was wrong. As sometimes I am because I am human and learning each day too. She taking the steam out of the argument and bringing me back to a place of reason.
The argument ending with my husband telling our daughter he loved her for standing up for her brother. Me feeling guilty. Hugging my son as we walked out of the restaurant and he hugging me back as I explained to him all I want is the best for him and his sister. Both of us telling each other we loved each other. Disagreement done.
We ended the night with a game of Scrabble. A wonderful test of our grasp of the English language. A fun night that ended with our son barely edging out his father, the self proclaimed Scrabble King, to win much to his chagrin. A night full of laughter that ended much later than we dreamed.
A day and night well worth the quality time we spent as a family away from technology. Away from the every day. Just being together and going with the flow. Seeing different aspects of each other we do not see with the hustle and bustle of every day life.
My husband commenting as we were all going to bed about how proud he is of our children. Proud of how they are growing up. Yet how sad he is because he knows that with each day they are growing away from us. Reminding me to just enjoy the time we have together. Not worry about what is coming tomorrow or the next day. To just be as we were yesterday. No distractions. Just us.
As the mist rose up the mountains, as the rain stopped so did the blurred lines between my husband and I as parents and our children as we become one. A group of four people coexisting in a space together created from a place of love and pure joy. What a wonderful place to be. What a wonderful group of four we are. How blessed am I. How blessed are we.
It is the simple things in life that brings us the most joy. It is the simple things in life that bring us the most joy. It truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment