Wednesday 20 August 2014

Basking in the natural flow and harmony of life

So far this has proven to be a blissful vacation for me and my family. We have allowed ourselves to slow right down to the point of doing nothing. Of only doing what feels right to us. Not forcing ourselves to run out and do anything if we feel like we want to do nothing.
We are surrounded by beautiful nature. Mountains full of green trees right outside of our door. All we need to do is sit and look out and allow the richness of life to fill us. To feel the abundance of life seep through us without having to rush about to feel like we have purpose.
What this vacation is showing me is sometimes it is okay to allow life to come to us rather than chasing it down. Rather than feeling inadequate if we make no decisions because as I read yesterday indecision is a decision as well. Every action we take has purpose. Even inaction we take is still action because by doing nothing we are still doing something.
Nothing we do is life is without consequence. Double negative I know but it is with purpose because double negative makes a positive and that is what this vacation is telling me. By allowing my mind, body and soul to rest, I am allowing all of me to listen to the sounds of the world I sometimes block out when I am going at full speed. When I am running here and there, helter, skelter trying to show I have purpose. Trying to find my purpose.
Purpose is inherent in us. Innate to us because each one of us came here with purpose. With intention to be who we are, where we are. And what I am discovering this week is that purpose does not come from chasing anything. Purpose comes from standing still, sitting still, being still and allowing life to come to us. Allowing the answers to bubble to the surface. Giving all of us the space and time to catch up with us.
Allowing the intent of who we are to be heard. Often when we are running around trying to be important, we lose our importance because we lose focus. We lose touch with our innermost selves and we begin to live the life that everyone else expects of us rather than the life we want for ourselves. Rather than taking the time to listen to nature. Rather than taking the time to observe the leaves blowing in the breeze. To see the morning light rising over the mountain sending beams of life dazzling through the air and into our soul. To feel the air on our skin. To commune totally with the natural side of life that exists along side, beside us.Filling us with purpose.
Yesterday we went out for a late breakfast, lunch as we did the day before. No rushing. No hurrying. All of us feeling fairly lethargic. No one really wanting to do anything but be. So we decided to come back to our condo and just veg. As we were walking back in,  we met the maintenance man and said hello to him. When we did, his whole face lit up. It was then that I saw the fire in his eyes and the peace in his soul radiating out of him. He said with pure joy and feeling, "Beautiful day today isn't it?"
We all agreed and he continued as he looked wistfully around, "I have lived here all my life and I never get used to the beauty of this place. I never tire of its  beauty. I look around me sometimes and can't believe what I see."
As he spoke these words, I looked up and around and took in the freshness of the air, the lushness of the vegetation, the sun high up in the sky, the clouds with different formations than the ones I am used to in Bermuda, the odd call of a bird - different to the sounds of the birds of Bermuda and I inhaled deeply. Inhaled the promise of all that is, was and is to come and felt so a part of life. So a part of nature that I knew just being is enough. Just honouring the spirit that is us all is enough. Gratitude gets us much more than hustle and bustle as I allowed the magic of the moment to seep through me.
We came downstairs and sat out on the grass in our deck chairs and looked out over the mountains and just became one with nature. One with the Universe allowing our minds, bodies and spirits to decompress and to recharge. As we did, a little visitor came out from under our porch and sat and stared at us. Obviously feeling non-threatened by us, a little ground hog with a face like our Mysty. My husband and son named Gordon. My daughter and I named Polly. All five of us content to be in each other's space enjoying the bountifulness of nature. Allowing the simplicity of life to fill us up with gratitude and grace.
Accepting that sometimes it is better to just do nothing and allow life to come to us rather than chasing it and missing all that it has to offer. And that's what vacations can do for us when we allow ourselves to just be. As we are this week surrounded by the natural beauty that asks nothing from us in return. Basking in the natural flow and harmony of life with gratitude. It doesn't get any better than this.


Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment