Wednesday 3 July 2013

The importance of sleep

My  body clock is all mixed up. My whole being is exhausted. Tiredness is something that can really mess with the mind, body and spirit. Sending us into panic mood. And sometimes to a place where we  cannot concentrate nor can we exist properly. And I also discovered yesterday that tiredness makes us want to eat all the time because our bodies desperately need calories to keep us going.
Sleep is very important for us and it is something we take for granted. When we don't sleep enough, our whole outlook changes. Whereas we may normally be calm when we don't sleep enough we tend to become short fused. Reacting to everything after the fact rather than being able to anticipate what is coming. And acting accordingly.
When we give ourselves time to sleep our whole being appreciates it because sleep allows our mind, body and spirit the time to recuperate. Time to go to that place of the in between where dreams, memories and thoughts are able to meet. When we allow ourselves to drift into the world where all of the answers to who, why and what we are all about exists.
Therefore it is very important for us to connect to that place because if we don't we start to lose touch with who we are and why we are causing us to become defensiveness, restless and reactive. Sleep allows us to reconnect with our essence selves and the all knowing. Which in turn fuels our self confidence allowing us to project the best aspects of ourselves rather than our deprived selves.
This morning I woke up in a tizzy because I overslept. Instead of getting up at 6 I woke up at 7.30! And instantly I started to panic because I had not given myself the time to have quiet time before having to rush off to meetings. But my mind, body and spirit was truly appreciative of the rest. And I decided I would not rush around. I would just allow myself to wake up naturally. To write what came to me. To let the morning flow and to accept I am where I am meant to be and this time is the time I was supposed to come out of my inner world. My world of in between.
To accept the gift the Universe gave me of the extra hour and a half of sleep because obviously I needed it. And when I did, a calmness came over me.  And I was able to accept my mind, body and spirit needed the rest particularly since I had not fallen asleep the night before until 1.45 in the morning. I had gone beyond tired into that place where my body was shaking, my mind was racing and my spirit was at wits end with me.
But I resisted my body telling me I needed to rest and instead answered emails from back home for work until my body could not take it any more. But my essence self trumped me this morning because it forced me into a deep sleep not allowing me to wake up until 7.30 this morning.
So despite my initial panic when I woke up, I am truly grateful for the rest I got. I could probably sleep for a few more hours if I allowed myself to but I know I can't because I have to go to the next set of meetings but at least today I can go with a clearer mind than I did yesterday.Because I was able to go to the place where my mind, body and spirit got to replenish themselves because they were allowed to drift in that place of the in between. The place where all the why, what and how comes reside.
And beauty of fuelling my body with rest, hopefully I won't eat as much as I did yesterday. And the sugar won't call my name as much because I rested. One can only hope.
Sleep is so very important for us because if we give ourselves time to refuel, eventually it will be done for us and not at the time when it is appropriate either. And for my lesson on the importance of sleep and rest, I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment