Sunday 28 July 2013

A New Perspective for our son and us

Yesterday was a wonderful nostalgic day for my family. We dropped our son off at Oxford University for a two week summer course with children from 99 countries around the world. A bittersweet moment for us all. Us watching him walking away from us. Him walking away from us without turning to wave goodbye.
This will be the longest time we will be separated from each other. The longest having been one week so far. It was really strange checking him into St. Peter’s College. Almost as if he was attending University already. I felt like he was slipping through my hands. Walking away from me and onto his own life.
When we got up to his dorm room, we discovered he was given a single room with a wonderful view over the Oxford  Castle and mound.  We started to unpack his clothes but he told us he wanted to do it himself. Of course I kept unpacking his things because I needed to keep myself busy just so I didn’t think too much about leaving him there on his own at 14.
After unpacking we went on a tour of the campus which is very compact. Easy to get around and safe. Security checks the students in and out. And the students are only allowed limited time to explore the city on their own. The comforting factor being St. Peter’s is in the middle of the city of Oxford so it is easy access for our son to get to without getting lost.
The programme has wonderful excursions planned for them as well. Our son was relieved to know it was not just all studying. That there was some time for fun. Lots of wonderful activities planned for them as well so they can get to know each other. So I felt a little better once I discovered how structured and organised the programme is.
Our son is the first and only so far from Bermuda so we think that’s why he was given special treatment like a room with a view and all on his own. He would have preferred a roommate but at least he gets to do whatever he needs to do.
Once we got him all sorted, we took a walk through the city as a family just so he could feel comfortable with his surroundings but more importantly for me to feel comfortable with where he will be. A mother never really loses grip with her children as I felt today. Grateful we had chosen Oxford as his first experience away from home because it is a beautiful, historic and friendly city.
Then it was time to go back for the Induction Ceremony where we met the director of the Oxford Royale Academy Summer Programme and got to see the other 119 students involved in the New Perspectives Session our son will be involved with. It was amazing to look around the room and see students from Japan, Africa, Germany, USA, India, China, France, Spain and many other countries too numerous to name.
We were then kicked out at 6 pm and told to leave our children so they could learn what was expected of them and they could learn which houses they had been put in. Then they were to go to dinner with their fellow housemates so they could get to know each other as housemates. After dinner have all the students involved in ice breaker activities. Forcing them to talk to each other and break down barriers for them.
I wanted my son to hug me tight before we left as I saw another boy from Japan do with his mother but my son is slightly different from him I know. He hugged me as much as he could and wanted and then I let him go. Not turning to watch him walk away but letting him go. My daughter waved and waved at her big brother. Telling me he never turned to wave goodbye that he just kept going. Her eyes tearing up as did mine but I did not want anyone to see me with the tears so I blinked them away. Knowing the reason he did not turn was because he could not turn. He needed to keep walking away so he could do so with as much strength and willpower as he could. My brave son.
And then we left. Walked through the large doors of the entrance and out onto the street. Ending the chapter our son was to begin on his own.  With heavy heart but with great pride as well. Knowing we will see him in two weeks time, a changed young man from the one we left. Hopefully full of stories and and an experience he will never forget..

No comments:

Post a Comment