Monday 15 July 2013

Taking time out for love

Lately my husband and I have been moving in different directions. Me trying to do all that I need do as a wife, mother and working woman. He trying to do all he needs to do as a husband, father and working man. A new dynamic for our family since we had children some 14 years ago. At least one of us was at home with our children up until recently. And now we are both out of the house working. Juggling schedules. Trying to keep up with our demanding schedules while trying to keep our family unit together.
And sometimes that can be difficult. Challenging to adjust to a new normal. To our children needing us in different ways to the way they did when they were younger. To us trying to carve out time for each other and I have to admit I was feeling a bit unloved and unappreciated as we have been moving so far apart from each other. And I was starting to grumble under my breath about it rather than expressing the way I was feeling. And I did not want to start a fight about it by accusing my husband of not being in my space in the way I wanted him to be. Needed him to be. So I meditated it on and let the Universe answer me and guide me on how to bring us back on the same page.
So after coming out of my meditation, my husband walked by me. And this time instead of watching him walk by me and feeling rejected by his lack of attention, I asked him to hug me.  And he did. My heart swelling with love so I told him how much I missed his hugs. How much I missed us being in  the same space. Us being in love with each other rather than just loving each other. And he hugged me that much tighter. Pulling me closer to him. Closing the physical as well as mental gap that had been growing between us. Breaking down the invisible barrier that had been growing between us. I could feel his love oozing back into me as my love oozed back into him.
And then the Universe opened us to each other that much more by allowing us to spend a magical evening and night together on our porch. Just the two of us. Our children off at the neighbours’ house swimming in the pool while we sat under the star filled sky as sheet lightening or as my mother used to call them, heart flashes lit up the night sky. The quarter moon sitting perfectly in the sky. Leonard Cohen growling in the background. Followed by Barbara Streisand. Then Michael Jackson. David Bowie. Lightning Hopkins. Cecilia. And ending with us dancing to Beyonce singing 1+1. Bringing us that much closer.
Holding each other. Teaching me that sometimes we just need to remember to appreciate each other as husband and wife. Boyfriend and girlfriend. As lovers, friends , spouses. Remember not to take each other for granted. Tell each other how much we care, love and miss each other just so we can bring back the romance that slips so easily away.
Twenty three years later my husband and I still can find our way back to each other when we remember to take the time to be in each other’s space. To meet halfway. Remembering when we can why we came together in the first place. Remembering  sometimes we are up and sometimes we are down but when we remember to be with each other. Truly with each other, there is nothing greater than the love of the familiar. The seasoned love that asks for nothing in return but to be loved.
A perfect weekend together with my husband with love under the star filled sky with a perfect crescent moon shining down on us. Beyonce reminding us , we ain't got nothing but love...

No comments:

Post a Comment