Monday 27 May 2013

@Zach Sobiech - a story of life

My 9 year old daughter came home last week and told me there was an 18 year old boy that died from cancer. Her Art teacher had shown them the video. I flippantly said to her there are lots of children that die from cancer. So what was so special about the boy? She said she didn't know but it was really sad to know he died.
The next morning I sat down at my computer and there was an email from The Upworthiest with a lead line that said, “The World’s Greatest Boyfriend Died at 18 – Then the Internet Made him Immortal.” Of course being the romantic that I am, I opened the link. And as I started watching the story, I realized it was the boy my daughter had been trying to tell me about. A young man called Zach Sobiech.
I didn't have much time to watch the video as I had to get everyone up for school and out the door. But I watched about 17 minutes of it because I could not take my eyes off Zach’s story. How could I with one of his lines being, “You don’t have to find out you’re dying to start living.” That line was among many that sent chills done my spine. And to see how full of life he was and to watch his family though they knew he was dying, try to help him live out his last days as if they were truly his last. Sometimes forgetting that he was in his last days.
The joy that was surrounding Zach and his family was infectious. His story was not just about an 18 year old dying. It was a story about an 18 year old living out his last days as fully as he possibly could and his parents and sisters and brother allowing him to experience his last days as if they were precious. They did so by accepting their son and brother was dying.
Watching his story, I knew this boy was being sent to me and to those of us living on the fringes of life to wake us up to truly live our lives. Not take one moment for granted. I felt as if he was speaking directly to me when he said, “Most people love their lives in the middle. Because it’s safe. But I have to live my life in extreme because I’m dying.”
I skipped to the end because I wanted to see how the story ended only to discover there was no true ending on the video. It was Zach telling his family how much he loved and appreciated them. It was the sound of his voice singing the song he wrote for his girlfriend called Clouds. Words I will forever more here in my head. A haunting song,
I sat down with my 14 year old son yesterday morning so we could watch Zach’s story together.  I wanted him to see that life has to be lived to the fullest. To not take anything for granted. To experience all he can and to know he is loved. I watched him out of the corner of my eye. Watching him feel the emotions of the family in the video.
I turned to him when Zach’s mother was talking about how proud she was to have been his mother and said, “I pray I never have to be that mother and have to bury either you or your sister. But if I do, I hope I have the opportunity to do exactly as this family has done. To say goodbye properly to each other. To know the end is coming and to make every moment of each day special. I wish I had something like this of my mother.”
He looked at me and nodded. Neither of us speaking. But fully feeling the impact of my words without the need to speak. Me thinking I wish I had something of my mother so I could remind people she did exist. That she was here. And not a figment of my imagination. So my children could see her and hear her voice. I wish.  It’s a wonderful thing that SoulPancake made this video for Zach and for his family to have forevermore. Immortalising him so people will remember his name. Remember he existed.
And when the story ended my son and I talked and I said, “Zach was a very special boy who came here to remind us all that life is for living. Full out living. Not in the middle where it is safe. But in the extremes so when the time comes for this physical journey to end, we can close our eyes and go to sleep with the words of Zach’s song, Clouds,
“And we’ll go up, up, up 
But I’ll fly a little higher 
We’ll go up in the clouds because the view is a little nicer 
Up here my dear 
It won’t be long now, it won’t be long now.”
If you have time, watch this video. It is not just a story about an 18 year old dying of cancer. It is a story of family, life, acceptance and love.
www.SoulPancake.com


No comments:

Post a Comment