Tuesday 14 May 2013

Stormy weather


Stormy weather really stirs the soul. So many of us were feeling heavy yesterday. Like there was a weight on our shoulders. Many of us exhausted. Like we were carrying too much of a burden. Some complained of headaches.
I attribute it to the weather. The heaviness of the air. Humidity sky rocketed. Leaving the air damp. Muggy. Oppressive. The perfect conditions for stormy weather. When the hot air meets the cold and creates such tension that in order to balance, they must explode first. Bursting into violent thunderstorms and torrential rain.
By the time the thunderstorms came through this morning, I was more than ready for them. Craved them actually so that the air could be cooled. To relieve the tension in the atmosphere. Making way for calmness to return. I was woken out of my sleep at about 3.58 this morning by a loud noise. Didn't quite know what it was but as I looked round the room to see, lightning flashed outside.
Almost as if the Universe was waking me to see the beginning of the storm that had been threatening to come all along. I waited for the thunder after that. Waited to see if it was my imagination when I saw that flash. And sure enough a few minutes later the thunder rolled through. Letting me know it was not my imagination. And then the resident toad that has moved into our emptied pool started to really sing. Happy that the rain had come again. Croaking to his heart's content.
Shortly thereafter the rain grew so torrential that it sounded like a dam had burst. The rain sounding like it wanted to break through the roof and wash away anything that tried to obstruct its path. It was so loud that it drowned out the sound of our resident toad. An eerie silence of anything but the pouring rain. Until the lightning and thunder crashed again.
The lightning becoming more violent. The thunder more threatening. The storm obviously drawing closer as the thunder was following almost immediately behind the lightning. My daughter waking in terror from the sound of the booming thunder. And the lashing of the torrential downpours.  I closed my eyes trying to lessen the effect of the lightning on my eyes. Blocked my ears trying to quiet the thunder. But the thunderstorm was not relenting. The lightning still flashing before my closed eyes. The thunder still audible through my blocked ears.
My daughter clinging to me. And then I decided to not hide from the storm. To not fear the storm but to embrace it. To welcome it knowing it was to cool the tension in the air. So I opened my eyes. Unblocked my ears. And watched the storm. Listened to the pouring rain. Feeling the air cooling. Feeling the relief from nature that the tension was being cut. Feeling relief pouring through me that I had surrendered to the storm rather than resisting it.
And then just like that it was all over. The rain stopping. The thunder and lightning gone. The air immediately relieved. Teaching me no matter how dark it gets. No matter how stormy it may seem. When the time is right that darkness and storm will pass making way for freshness and light to come back in. As it is doing before my eyes this morning.
Stormy weather is always a precursor to the calm. Because stormy weather is sent to clear the tension and heat and bring us relief. Stirring the Universal soul and at the same time us before bringing us back to a place of peace and calm. Balancing our equilibrium. Relieving our burdens and tension. Bringing forth the sound of silence once again. Only now we can hear and appreciate the sound of silence. Aah…

No comments:

Post a Comment