Tuesday 5 February 2013

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life


Recently I had lunch with a friend I have been trying to have lunch with for a very long time. But schedules, interruptions, life got in the way more times than we could count until we had no choice but to connect. Though we had known each other before, we became fans of each other when I started writing a spiritual column for one of the local newspapers and she loved my articles. Calling me her inspiration. And then when I  started my blog, she found me again and we reconnected. Becoming fans of each other once again.
The connection is about to change again because she and her husband are embarking on a journey to live in a different part of the world. To discover what it is like to immerse themselves in a new culture. And the irony is their journey begins on February 22. My twenty first wedding anniversary. Showing just how interconnected we all truly are. Particularly those of like mind who are drawn together to encourage each other. Help each other along on this journey called life. Recognizing that sometimes one is up and the other is down. One is strong when the other is weak. But the roles  and dynamics are constantly changing. With the strengths  and weaknesses shifting. The ups and downs shifting. Allowing each one of us to feel the emotions. Experience the compassion.
When we finally met for lunch, it was like we had lunched all our lives every single day. We were like two giddy girls at times. Laughing like unbounded children. At other times we were serious exploring our life experiences. Sharing from a heart centered base. Uplifting each other. Validating each other.
As we were about to depart, she handed me a card. A beautiful card with an image representing to me the infinite paths we take. The continuum of life. The paths that separate only to intersect again . And at first I was embarrassed that she had been so thoughtful to sit and write out a card when she was the one who was leaving. I thought how could I sit before this woman without thinking of giving her something to part with. I didn’t know how to take the card because I realised I am so not used to receiving. I am the one who is always giving.
But then I read the card thanking me for being her inspiration and with the following quote by Melody Beattie,
“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life
It turns what we have into enough and more
It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity.
It can turn a meal into a feast,
A house into a home
A stranger into a friend
Gratitude makes sense of our past,
Brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.”
I carried that card around in my bag for a few days keeping it close to me. Reading it again and again trying to come to terms with its meaning and my relationship with my new old friend who was about to depart . And then I realized she had come to me to remind me to be grateful for every person, every moment, every encounter because we never know when life will take us in different directions. When our paths will separate. To remind me to take nothing or no one for granted particularly those that mean the most to me because life changes so quickly.
To my friend who is one of the bravest and free living souls I know, may your new adventure take you on a journey of possibility. Looking forward to all the updates of where your life is taking you. I know our paths will intersect again as your venture is starting on the same day as a new year begins for my wedded journey. Love shared.
In gratitude for you inspiring me to write just by calling me your inspiration. For validating me when few others did. And for staying with me throughout without having to be in my physical space all the time. A relationship that is timeless, spaceless and infinite. I salute you my friend. In gratitude. Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment