Monday 9 April 2012

A perfect Sunday with no technological interference, almost anyway


Well we did it. I did it. Sort of anyway.
What a marvellous day we had yesterday. No computers aside from first thing in the morning when I posted my blog. Although I did cheat and checked my cell phone from time to time to see if there were any emails. Trying to not look at anything from a technology standpoint is harder than I thought. Almost like a drug. Very addictive.  Actually I worried that I might hurt someone’s feelings if I did not respond right away to their emails. Can you believe it? What kind of world do we live in that we fear not responding to someone right away?
I forced myself to not think about the emails. But I found myself every few hours peeking at my cell phone. Better than having it by my side so I could instantly respond.
Because of our first no technology day, we spent a fabulous day together. At home. Doing lots but nothing in particular.  I prepared a pancake breakfast for my family. We ate on our covered porch listening to the pouring rain. Watching it clear away to be replaced by brilliant sunshine.
Then my husband and I sat on the back porch, my Buddha garden, as I call it and read books and magazines. With the sun shining brightly down on us as if there had been no rain. Our children rode their bikes around the neighbourhood. Having a wonderful time out in the fresh air.
Hours flew by without it seeming like it. The children periodically checking in on us between riding their bikes. Then it was time for a late afternoon lunch/ dinner. My daughter insisted on preparing it for us as she is an avid fan of The Food Network. So she is convinced she is a Top Chef! She and I prepared the food and set it up outside buffet style. We ate and chatted about many different topics. It was wonderful to have shut the outside world off and concentrated on us. Talking. Exploring. Just being with each other. Reconnecting with each other. Listening to different viewpoints.
Then we started doing a crossword puzzle together. I was pleasantly surprised by the broad and general knowledge of my 8 year old daughter and 13 year old son. My daughter remembering from school that a mother of pearl is a nacre! We didn’t believe her so we looked it up and she was right! Amazing.
My son telling me terms from his geography class. It was a wonderful good old fashioned day ending with my husband burning old leaves in a barrel. All of us standing around watching the colours of the flames change as the different materials burned. My husband saying as day turned into night, “What a wonderful family day we had together. “
My son answering, “Yes, I love Sundays.”
Me saying, “And this is how our Sundays will be from now on. No computers. Just us being together, talking, Discovering each other, being together.”
Both of our children shrugged their shoulders and said, “That’s okay.”
Not missing their computer or I pad. Just happy we were together. Doing nothing fancy but being in each other’s company. A perfect Sunday. A wonderful family day. On Easter Sunday. Who could ask for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment