Friday 20 April 2012

Grateful to be home


Home sweet home. What a feeling to be back in my own bed with my little girl snuggled in on one side and my husband on the other. Those are the moments I treasure more than anything when I get back from travelling. The comfort of home.
I was truly grateful when the flight landed yesterday because it started off with a loud bang and strange rocking. Those who were talking went quiet. Those of us who had escaped into our own worlds tried to maintain our calm composure. But I know my mind was racing trying to process and reject what had happened. Snatching me out of my inner world. It sounded and felt like something had dropped off the airplane. In that moment when time felt like it was suspended I said a silent prayer.
And then the steward announced we had hit the wake of an airplane some ten miles away. He laughed a bit and then proceeded to tell us that’s why it’s important to keep our seat belts on because you never know when we could hit unexpected turbulence.
The woman sitting next to me and I both relieved for some explanation, looked at each other then I said, “I have never experienced anything like that before.” And she agreed.
Then we went back to our separate worlds. Me thinking and praying that I got home safely. Telling the Universe I still had children to raise, a husband to love, a home to go to and a life I was not finished living. After then I surrendered what was to be to the Universe and went back to reading my book.
When the flight touched down on the ground without another incident, I was so grateful. I turned to the woman sitting next to me and said, “Welcome home.”
She said I was great to be home and how good it was that the flight turned out to be so smooth after the strange incident.
My response was, “Yes it is. But it really shows how quickly life can change in an instant.”
My husband was on the outside waiting to pick me up and as we drove I drank in the beautiful colours unique to my Island home. The bright sunshine. Contrasting against the turquoise and blues of the ocean. The clear skies. The vibrant colours of the flowers and leaves – like colours of the rainbow. No grotty city streets. No tall buildings. Just the simplicity and abundance of nature all around me. I inhaled the fresh air and held it before exhaling the gratitude I felt. Sending it out into the Universe.
Then later that evening, as my son was walking away he turned to me and said, “I really did miss you mommy.” What more could I ask for as a warmth spread through me. The love of the Universe flowing through me letting me know all was well.
I woke up this morning to the sound of my little chick of the village bird chirping away merrily. As if he was welcoming me back home too. Gratitude spreading through my body as I thanked the Universe for letting me have another day to experience the wonders of life. Gratitude for the abundance in my life. Gratitude for my family. Gratitude for simply waking up this morning safely in my own bed. In my own home. Ready to take on another day of this journey called life.

No comments:

Post a Comment