Friday 6 April 2012

Magic in the Moonlight


After a full day of sitting at a Waterpark watching my children having the time of their lives. My nose burning from the strong smell of chlorine. My mouth dry too as a result. I feel so fortunate to be in a family of love.
My husband and I sat on the sidelines yesterday and let our children just be children. Running up and down the stairs. Flying down giant  waterslides. Splashing in the water. Swimming. Floating.  Often hand in hand. Side by side. My husband and I proud that our children love each other so much that they get along so well. Watching them enjoying each other's company.
Then on the drive back from the Waterpark, our daughter suggested because last night was our last night at the Notch, we should go out for a nice family dinner. By the time we got back to the condo, we were all too tired to even think about dressing up so we went to the village restaurant. Nothing fancy but we didn't need anything fancy. All we wanted was to be together. Just the four of us.
As we were eating my husband got really excited and told us to look out the window. When we turned, we saw the moon, nearly full, sitting on top of the dark mountains. Almost as if the mountains had birthed it. Bright as could be. A stark contrast against the dark night mountains. Clouds falling to the side allowing the bright nearly full moon to illuminate the night sky. In its full glory.
A chill ran down my spine as the beauty of the moon took my breathe away. Light in the midst of darkness. Looking at my husband. Loving him that much more for being romantic enough to get excited about a rising moon. Looking at my children who were equally excited. Revelling in the magic of the moment that had unfolded before my eyes from something as simple as a rising moon being given its space to shine as the clouds rolled away.
A perfect ending to a lazy vacation at the Notch. And then just like that the light was snuffed out by the clouds rolling back in. Dark. Obscuring the moon. Like it never existed. But it did and still was there. It was just behind the clouds. Reminding me that behind every dark cloud there is light. As long as we have patience, faith and love, we will always have the endurance to find and see the light again. Because it's always there. Sometimes obscured. But there nonetheless.
And then just like the moon burst out from behind the clouds again. This time higher in the night sky. Brighter. Fuller. As if it too was appreciating the fact that I was appreciating its light. Reminding me magic is always there in every way. And so is the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment