Saturday 1 March 2014

March truly makes its entrance as a lion

Woke up this morning to everything banging and crashing around outside. The wind howling. Rain lashing against the windowpanes.  The sound of a winter storm. Thinking what a great day to stay indoors. To vegetate. To be cocooned from the storm brewing outside.  
I got up to check outside – to see that was causing the haunting howling sound as the wind found its way through my windows - like the sound of a crying lady lost at sea. And that’s when I saw just how stormy it was outside. Leaves burnt from being whipped by the wind flying across the lawn. Some on the ground sodden from the rain that was beating down.
Seeing yet another rainy day and this time mixed with high winds we have not seen in a while, at first my spirits dropped as I thought when will this rain ever end? When will we have some sun to dry out the dampness that seems to be a permanent feature of my home? To dry out the mud that is becoming more present than the grass. To lift my spirits because there is no sun. I wasn’t born to be a troglodyte. I was born to be outside basking in the sun was my lament to the Silence.
The silence answered me by having me glimpse my calendar showing me that today is the first of March. The first day of the month that will bring in spring and I realized it is March coming in like the lion it can be. This time angry that its season of winter was not allowed to show its force, dampened by the rain and the high humidity that cheated it of its ability to be chilly and windy. Letting us know how fierce our winter could have been and how we have been fortunate enough to have been spared.
My mood shifted from one of doom and gloom to one of gratitude, gratitude that yes the day may be stormy and the outside is dark and gray but we have been spared all winter from the cold that we could have had. That I live in a place where there are no snowstorms that keep us marooned indoors. No ice storms that keep us bundled up so our faces don’t crack from the cold. In a place where yes we  have storms from time to time but in general we are surrounded by the bluest of oceans and landscape that looks like a continuous garden.

So I surrendered to the first of March accepting it is doing its thing. Blowing in like a lion. Allowing winter to have its last hurrah before it makes way for Spring. Allowing me the presence of mind to exhale.  Accepting with gratitude the weather as stormy as it is, could have been a whole lot worse. Welcome March 1. Welcome with all your force. Truly making your entrance as the lion you can be. Blowing away the remnants of winter before you usher in spring. Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment