Thursday 5 September 2013

Enjoying playing tourist with my children

Sometimes when we are overwhelmed it is better just to stop and to take stock. Go out where we are to see what we have. To be appreciative of all that is around as I did with my children yesterday afternoon. We took the day off and acted like tourists. Exploring our beautiful Island home and taking advantage of the sights people pay to come to see but is freely available to us in our own back yard.
We ventured down to the Grotto Bay in search of the giant water slide only to discover to my daughter’s disappointment that the slide no longer exists. Gone and no one could tell us why or when. She was devastated but we decided to enjoy the beautiful setting we were in and just have lunch.
After lunch we thought what the heck we might as well go to the beach and relax. Why waste the opportunity when it was ours for the taking. The wonderful beach attendant set us up with chairs, towels, umbrellas. Treating us like royalty. We felt truly special and privileged. As we were lounging we saw people going to the Watersports Centre then come back out with kayaks and paddle boards.
My children asked if they could rent one so they could explore. Of course my nerves kicked in at first about them going out on their own on a kayak but then I had to talk to myself. Remind myself that both of them are better swimmers than I am. Both are like fish in the water and love the water. And if I am trying to teach them independence I had to let them go.
They were so excited to be treated like grownups and took to their new responsibility with glee. I watched as my son, big brother, put his sister in the kayak making sure she was secure and then they were off. Paddling across the bay together. Stopped from time to time exploring some more and then moving again. I watched them thinking what a wonderful way for them to spend the afternoon. No computers. No TVs. No technology but just out amongst the azure seas beneath a canopy of romantic clouds scattered across the sky. Airplanes flying overhead. People swimming.
A wonderful and content silence filling me as nature embraced my energy. Bringing me back to what we are all about. Bringing me back to the fact that we are one. Of nature. Of the turquoise water reflecting back at me. Shimmering under the spectacular sun. Reminding me we are one.
And my restlessness settled. My anxiety gave way to not feeling guilty about sitting on the beach enjoying the fresh ocean air and its gently breeze. I was so caught up in the moment that I decided to cast aside my not interfering with the water policy and went in to join my children. To say they were shocked is an understatement. They kept looking around to see if a storm was coming because I was in the water. We laughed and played together. The two of them happy, we were enjoying the water together.
And then I dared to indulge myself more by diving under the water. My daughter screaming mommy got her hair wet to her brother. Both of them exchanging looks of shock. Looking at me like I had two heads! Me feeling like a million dollars because I had pushed my inhibitions to the side. My desire for perfection long gone as I swam around with my children. Not caring what my hair looked like or what I looked like. Sinking beneath the water several times as the water soothed my skin. My mind. My body and my soul.

Lying back in the water, listening to the silence of the day and inhaling the salty scent of the ocean as the salty water brushed my lips. Feeling so grateful for just letting go and being in the moment with my children on a tourist day in Bermuda. What an absolute treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment