Wednesday 24 April 2013

Taking life's glitches in stride

Yesterday morning immediately after I posted my blog and I was feeling on top of the world, the Internet went down in my house and it has been down ever since! In this day and age to lose the Internet for nearly 24 hours is unheard off. And it really knocks my morning routine off.
This blog post is about my 5th attempt to post something as I am typing on a tiny blackberry with 50 year old eyes. so everything is far too miniscule for me and I am nervous about what will actually ome out on this post. Particularly since I am outside my comfort zone right now. But am doing what feels right so forgive the mistakes and typos and try to focus on the intent.
I had one of the best birthdays ever and the reason I did is because I celebrated my birthday for myself. It was not for anyone else but for me and it felt really good to do so. My husband and I spent the day in bed watching Downton Abbey. When I told my husband that's what I wanted to do he could not believe it at first particularly since I had said when I turned 50 I was going to have the biggest party ever. So to him for me to o fromthose grand plans to the two of us watching Downton Abbey was slughtly schizophrenic! But that was what I wanted and that's what we did and I loved every  moment of it.
Particularly since my husband did it with  twist. The morning started with my husband and children giving me birthday  cards they had individually chosen. Each card representing each one of them's personality to a tee. my husband then take our children to school then came back home with a feast he had ordered along with champagne. and thus began our day. just the two  of us. Lovely.
In the evening we went o a very special couple's home for dinner. This couple is like the grounder and balancer for our family and they had prepared a feast for my 50th including my children. The evening was better than I even dreamed. Looking around the table and seeing 5 people wo know me better than most helping me to celebrate my milestone birthday was so beautiful and so touching.
We then came back home full of food, love and family togetherness only for my 9 year old daughter to surprise me with  cupcake flower cake she had made and with her brother's help  had decorated for me. They had run into the kitchen, forbidding me to enter, put candles on the cake and lit them. turned off the lights then called us in.
When I walked in they sang Happy Birthday to me and I had tears in my eyes. To know I am raising children who take such care in clebrating my birthday. To know I am married to a man who still thinks I am beautiful and went out of his way to create a special day for me. For us. To know I have friends who prepared a feast for my family. To receive all the well wishes from friends and family far and wide, I know I am truly blessed and have so much to be grateful for.
If turning 50 feels like this, I have no problem with 50 more. With deep love and appreciation, I am signing out now flaws and all. Typos and all. Acknowledging life sometimes does not give us what we wnat but when we take what we are given and work with it with gratitude, it always work out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment