Thursday 25 April 2013

The Alluring Power of the Internet


Back online. Work is really taking it out of me at the moment. I am in meetings all day then having to stay until quite late  to get the work that I could not get done during normal work hours done. So last night I got home at a little after nine, took a shower then went to bed. And it seems the earlier I go to bed the later I wake up in the morning. As I did this morning – a whole 40 minutes later than I normally do. But this time I didn't panic. I didn't get upset. I just let it go.
Obviously I was meant to sleep in. I was meant to relax a bit. I also believe it’s because I’m not separating my work from my home life and I need to do that. What I also realized last night was the Internet was down for a reason. And it was to give me and everyone in my family a break from being bombarded by outside noise. From being exposed to too much of what is happening outside of us rather than inside of us. And last night when I got home and realized we were back online, I thought I would be more relieved but I wasn't.
I have to admit I had to make myself resist the temptation to go online to see what was happening in the world. To touch base with Facebook and Twitter and MSN. I resisted it all and listened to my body saying just go to bed. It felt a little strange to do so. Like I was neglecting something.  Missing out something. But I told myself if I signed on to the Internet, it would be midnight before I got up and went to bed. That’s how alluring searching the Internet and getting on Facebook and Twitter can be.
And then I thought about how my husband and I are on our children about their computer usage and the amount of time they spend on it. We used to set parameters around the time they were allowed on the Internet but now it has become such a huge part of all our lives that it is very difficult to shut it out. It has become like a drug to us all. We know we should be doing other things. We know we are procrastinating when we are searching the Net but we can’t resist it. It’s like we need our fix every day. Our desire to live vicariously through others, whether friend or foe is fascinating.
The Internet allows us insight into others lives and habits. Some people even following people they don’t like and then try to hide the fact they do. Getting information they may not like. But still they can’t help checking up on people through the back door. Other people knowing they are being followed -worrying about what they post in the event they offend someone but then realizing they have to be who they are and post for those who are learning from them rather than taking from them maliciously.
The whole Internet is an interesting phenomenon because it is something we all love to hate but we recognize it is connecting us in ways we never thought possible. It is also helping people to create alter egos. Sometimes portraying their lives as very exciting when in fact they may be very lonely. So the glamour and prestige that is seen on their Facebook pages or Twitter accounts may not be representative of the whole aspect of who they are.  But merely the side they want the world to see.
Our lives are being lived out as mini dramas, mini soap operas all the time through the power of Internet. Allowing us in our own way to become celebrities with the number of people who follow us - whether with good intention or bad.  What we always have to remember is even if we think no one knows what we are doing, there is always karma that does.  Remembering always the Internet is a wonderful means of communicating, connecting, and validating but it is not the means that creates balance and peace within us. We are still driven by the Divine and Universal Law. So regardless of what image we think we are portraying via the Internet, the real one is still subject to the Laws of Attraction and Karma.
 We are all still subject to attracting that which we project. To feeling the effects of every action we take. To being the recipient of whatever energy it is that we are underneath all the façade. So what I am saying is be careful of what you think and do because it will come back to you regardless of the image you are presenting on Facebook, Twitter and whatever other site you are using. And for those who are sneaking behind others’ backs, those brave enough to put themselves out there, and discussing them behind their backs, there is the law of karma that will always override the power of the Internet.
The Internet is a man made system illustrating for us how we are meant to communicate and connect but the power of intuition and universal love and interconnectedness is far greater than any Internet or anything that man can make.  And that fact can never be overlooked. We are still the human being that we have always been and will always be deep down inside regardless of what we create and regardless of what we try to hide. Remembering always Karma, Inner Peace, The Laws of the Universe and the interconnectedness of us all is what drives us and balances us over anything we can ever create.

No comments:

Post a Comment