Saturday 6 April 2013

A white knuckled journey on a six seater aircraft


Okay so I have checked flying in a small six seater airplane off my bucket list now. After coming back from my serene journey with El, I met up with my husband and children to go on a small plane tour over the Island. Because I felt so at one with nature, the Universe and everything in it, I had no fear about going on the six seater aircraft. I felt on top of the world like there was nothing that could harm me or my family.
Even boarding the little prop plane did not bother me. Neither did taxiing down the runway. I felt so excited about our new adventure. That is until the flight took off and if you don't know by now I am terrified of heights. So much so that just seeing someone standing on the edge of a drop makes my toes ache and my insides churn. I never thought I would feel the heights on the six seater because flying on large airplanes I do not feel the height because of the way the airplane is shaped and because of the size of the windows.
Not the case on a six seater aircraft  The windows are large. Designed that way so everyone can have a panoramic view from wherever they sit on the aircraft. So taking off in that little prop plane felt like I was on a roller coaster ride that kept rising and rising. Bile immediately rising  in my throat as I clutched my son's seat until I thought my fingers were going to come off. Or arthritis was going to kick in. Or rigamortis whichever came first. To say I was terrified was an understatement. My body was shaking in places I didn't even know could shake.
The plane started to vibrate and pitch and careen so I couldn't help but ask the pilot, Paul, if the entire  flight was going to be like that.  To which he responded, oh it's just a little bit of turbulence in his nonchalant cavalier sort of way. Just a little bit of turbulence I wanted to scream. This stupid little plane feels like it is going to fall apart. Shudder apart I wanted to scream back at him but I didn't. Instead I clutched the seat even harder. I swear my fingers were almost white from the blood draining out of them.
As the plane rocked around, I asked Paul if I had told him I was afraid of heights. To which he responded then don't look down just look out and enjoy the scenery. Enjoy the scenery I wanted to shout back at him. Turn this damn plane around and let me out but I didn't. I nodded sweetly. Closed my eyes and tried to fall asleep. But that only made matters worse. So I opened my eyes again. Trying desperately not to look out the windows at what was below us. All I wanted was for the flight to end.
To make matters worse, my daughter turned to me to say,"Mommy, I'm scared." Her eyes watery. Her face terrified. Looking at me like I could do something to help her but I couldn't. The worst nightmare for a mother because I felt like I had intentionally put my family in danger on this little prop plane that was capitulating all over the place like a little fly in the wind.
I then did the only thing I could. I told Paul I have a terrified daughter and then asked him how long we would be up? To which he responded we only just got started. I wanted to tell him to turn around so badly but I knew it was my husband's choice to be up there so I needed to swallow my fear. To suppress the bile that was threatening to violently project across the airplane and everyone in it. My husband reached back and squeezed our daughter's knee asking her if she was okay. She bravely shook her head. My son quiet not saying a word. All of us were in shock I believe.
In that instant the airplane ride smoothed out as much as a prop plane could. And I somewhat relaxed. Daring to look out the window at the scenery below. I have to admit the mountains looked menacing and enchanting at the same time from the heights we were flying. Mysterious yet inviting. Beautiful waterfalls softening otherwise harsh cliffs. We flew over the Jurassic Park waterfall, the Fantasy island waterfall, Julia Robert's home, Pierce Brosnan's home, inaccessible beaches and waterfronts.
And just as I started to get used to the motion of the aircraft, my husband asked the pilot if that was a whale over yonder. To which Paul said let's go check it out. And to my absolute horror, he put us in a commando style dip. The plane feeling like it was tipped on its side. My stomach in my throat. My fingers gripping so hard on the seat in front of me, they ached.
 I wanted to kill my husband at that point. Instead I said false alarm no whale in sight. And just as I said that I saw the tell tale spout of a whale slightly to the left of where we were. But I dared not say a word as I did not want to experience another dipping of the wings again. Too late Paul spotted it as well. And he turned the plane back, taking us closer to the water showing us the whale. My heart nearly stopping in my throat as we circled that whale closer and closer almost as if the wings could touch the water.
Despite my absolute terror and panic, I was in awe of the whale putting on a show for us. Coming up out of the water then diving back in. Showing us every marking on his body through the clear water. A peace washing over me as that whale seemed to say everything is going to be all right. That is until Paul decided to circle the area where the whale had surfaced to try to catch a glimpse of the whale again.
I told Paul the whale had gone. What I really wanted to say was, if you circle the ocean one more time I will scream but I didn't. I told him again, it's gone. And then he took off. Taking us back on our journey around the Island. Where we saw Princeville, the north end of the Island where we were staying. Even catching a glimpse of our condo. Paul  telling us Princeville is the most expensive place to buy a home in Kauai. Surprising us because it seemed so low key.
Leaving the coastline and the light, Paul flew us through dark clouds and into what he deemed to be his favourite part of the flight - the rainforest. The interior of the Island only seen from above. Inaccessible by land. The place where it is fabled the original Hawaiians, the Menehunes, still live. Beautiful green rugged terrain interspersed with waterfalls. Flying us over the wettest spot in the world. Said to get about 450 inches of rain per year was an unforgettable experience. A true rain forest. Lush inaccessible greenery. Setting my imagination on fire about what could possibly be living in that interior yet to be discovered by man. And quite possibly never to be discovered by man.
And then when we were getting into the rhythm again, we came in for the landing. The wheels touching the ground like a little tinker toy. I have never experienced such relief in my life as I did when those wheels touched the ground. I peeled my fingers off the back of my son's seat. Adjusted my legs to being on the ground again. Telling them not to wobble so much . The thrill was over. I thanked the Universe, the Divine, and every other Higher Power I could think of for getting us safely back on the ground.
So how can I describe our adventure in the six seater airplane? I think my husband summed it up best, exhilarating  Both the most exciting and the most terrifying experience all wrapped up in one. An experience I'm glad to have had but not one I care to do again any time soon. It's now safely and proudly checked off the bucket list now. Been there done that,  no need to do it again, sort of experience.
But for those daredevils who love a bit of adventure, if you ever want to see the whole of Kauai, the six seater is the only and best way to do it. And Paul truly is a good pilot. Just not my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment