Wednesday 3 April 2013

Canoeing down the Wailua River offers me lesson in stepping outside my comfort zone


How many times have I said over and over again that I do not like to interfere with the water. That I am Taurus the bull through and through so I do not like anything to do with water except to shower and bath in it. But to frolic in it, is not me. I am a land person and that is where I normally feel safe and secure.
So yesterday when my family decided we ought to go kayaking, I resisted vehemently saying I would stay in the condo while my husband and children went kayaking. But my daughter's face was so sad that I decided I would tag along. Particularly since she had just received very disappointing news that she had made it to the finals in the BYGT (Bermuda Youth's Got Talent Contest) but she would not be back on the Island in time for the final. She was heartbroken because she had been so excited about making it to the final.
So like a good mother I wanted to lift her spirits and go along with her plan to kayak. The weather was beautiful. Temperatures pleasant. Sky blue. So there was no excuse to miss kayaking.
As we were driving, I was thinking about El and her post about the whales still remaining in Kauai suggesting to her Kauai is truly blessed. As I was thinking this, I looked over at the ocean and saw a pod of whales spouting and playing in the water. Amazing I thought. Here we were on a picturesque day driving down an equally picturesque road with whales frolicking in the ocean on my left side, majestic mountains, tall trees and colourful flowers on my right. And above me a blue sky with wispy clouds. I felt so blessed at that moment that I probably could have walked on water. I felt the Universe was showing me its abundance and asking me to partake in it without abandon.
I inhaled in that moment and decided I was going to accompany my family on the kayaks because I felt at one with nature. We were also going to be kayaking on the sacred Wailua River - the river where we had exchanged our vows the day before. How could I say no to that?
When we got to the river, we decided to hire canoes instead of kayaks because I did not want to get too wet.  I felt flushed with confidence as I knew the Universe was shining down on me. That is until I got into the canoe. Me at the front and my son at the back, helming it for us. We set off from the dock and the canoe started rocking from side to side. I thought we were going to tip over. My heart starting racing. Panic rushed through my body and I yelled I wanted to go back. All I could envision was me falling into the murky brown river. Something I did not want to do so I wanted out of that canoe. But my husband and daughter asked me to give it a try.
Remembering my daughter's disappointment from before, I decided to stick it out. The motion of the canoe making me feel a little sick. But then as I looked out at the beautiful setting we were in, the sound of the wind rustling the leaves, the sound of silence, the tall and lush green trees around us, I closed my eyes and asked the Universe for guidance. When I opened them the scenery looked magical. My son looked so mature and grown up pedalling us confidently down the river that I lifted my oar and started pedalling with him. Our strokes soon reaching a rhythm as we sliced through the still water. And before I knew it I was in the flow and was actually enjoying myself.
My son and I soon racing against my husband and daughter. Our laughter and joy echoing back to us through our tree lined oasis. My son and I bonding in a new way. My son congratulating me on my rowing skills. My daughter happy that everyone was happy with her choice for our family outing for the day. My husband beaming that I was interfering with the water and not even caring that my hair was getting soaked.
Thinking back about the day I am so proud of myself for stepping outside of my comfort zone and doing something I would not normally feel comfortable with and finding so much joy in that moment. Realising what I would have deprived myself of had I been stubborn and stuck with what I know and am comfortable. Instead my family enjoyed a wonderful afternoon of canoeing up and down the Wailua River. The very river we had shared our family love with just the day before.
Teaching me that sometimes we have to step outside of our comfort zones in order to experience joy that is so readily available to us. And we have to be willing to go with the flow and see where it takes us. Totally teaching me to accept I am one with nature and the Universe. And for this lesson I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment