Monday 23 July 2012

The magic of the Thames


Yesterday morning we left Newcastle under overcast skies and slightly cool temperatures to arrive in London to blazing hot sunny weather. I never thought I would feel the heat in England. I couldn't wait to get to a loo so I could take the tights I had on under my leggings off. Who would have thought?
After finally reaching Maidenhead, we were met outside by our car to take us to our home on the River Thames for the next 7 days. The driver was astounded by the amount of luggage we had. I guess he hasn't seen many travellers from Bermuda. So we had to find ingenious ways to fit all of our luggage into the car and we did because we were all tired of travelling. Really of carrying those heavy bags around. So we were happy to do whatever it took to put distance between us and the luggage.
We drove for about 10 minutes from the train station to the sailing school at Bisham's Abbey. From the street you would never think the Thames was behind the Abbey. So we drove around for a while. Thinking we were lost. Until the owner of the barge called to tell the driver to round the old Abbey. And once we did, the sight before us was unbelievable and awe-inspiring.
The setting could not have been more beautiful. The weather was perfect. The conditions were perfect. Everything was perfect. Perfect beyond what I had imagined. Sitting at the dock was our home for the week, a 60 foot long, 11 foot beam navy blue barge called the Sancere. She is as elegant as one could imagine, bobbing majestically on her mooring as if she knew we would fall in love with her. The Universe was definitely smiling down on us. Providing us with perfection as we began the second half of our holiday.
Lush green and expansive lawns lay on Sancere's portside with large old oak trees shaking their leaves in the breeze. On her starboard side sat the outer banks of the Thames, teeming with people happy to be out in the sunshine after weeks of rain and darkness. Families were out walking dogs. Friends sitting on the banks chatting and laughing. Swans gliding gracefully up and down the river. Kites swooping above us in and out of trees. Ducks quacking. People in canoes, kayaks, rowing boats, speed boats, family boats all out enjoying the delightful weather.
Inhaling and exhaling the sight before my eyes. Grateful for the abundance in my life as I watched my children racing along the river's edge on the large lawns chasing each other, playing hide and seek while we got acquainted with Sancere.
Walking into Sancere, I was amazed by her inner beauty as well. The comfort of each room. The wide open space. Enough room for all of our luggage to be hidden out of sight and still having plenty of room to walk around. The natural oak woodwork adding light and a feeling of home to her. Roses placed in a rose bowl on the marble island in the kitchen. Again feeling grateful for the abundance in my life.
David, the owner of the Sancere, walking us through the do's and don'ts. Taking us on a test run on the river, through a lock, which was terrifying for me, because I had to make sure the stern was tied up to the locks until they opened. People standing along the locks watching us, the novices, getting our river legs. Feeling the pressure mounting. Our son at the bow doing the same securing the Sancere so she did not drift. We did it. Immensely proud that we did. Then my husband redocked the Sancere before David left us. Walked away from his beautiful barge leaving it in our hands. Satisfied that we could handle it.
Can't wait to see what the day brings. I hope it is as romantic as I feel right now. Dreaming of sitting on the bow writing as if I am a female version of Ernest Hemingway, letting my creative juices flow as we cruise up the Thames away from the hustle and bustle. Away from the everyday demands of our lives to the demands only of the locks and the River Thames. Surrendering to the wonders of nature.  Surrendering to family time. Surrendering to a new adventure. The magic of the Thames. Grateful to be able to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment