Tuesday 17 July 2012

Imagine if we viewed each moment as the gift it is


Yesterday we had another relatively dry day in England so we decided to take advantage of it and go bike riding as a family along the Tyne River. It was perfect weather for riding because it was slightly cool and overcast.
We set off together feeling quite chuffed that once again we had cheated the rain. Slowly getting our riding legs under us except for my son of course who rides all the time. He was off at once. While the rest of us got comfortable in the saddle. After riding 2 miles, my daughter decided she had had enough so my husband and son continued the ride while my daughter and I rode back the two miles. Because she was in a hurry to get back we pedalled along quite quickly with occassional chatter. Giving me a lot of time to think and contemplate life. A lot of quiet time out in the fresh air with no inteference but my own thoughts.
As we were riding, a quote I had seen came back into my head and it really made me think. The quote said something along the lines of, from the day we are born we are faced with a death sentence because we are born to die so we may as well live our lives knowing we are going to die. When I read it, I thought it was quite a dramatic quote and very depressing so I pushed it aside. Trying to find lighter reading.
That's why I was surprised when it pushed its way to the front of my thoughts again. As I rode along behind my daughter; looking out over the river and thinking about life, I realised how true that quote really is. I watched my daughter's retreating back thinking of how grown up she is becoming. Thinking about how independent my son is becoming, off riding a longer course with my husband and his dad. Thinking about how my inlaws are closer to their end. While my husband and I are in the middle. And my son and my daughter are somewhat at their beginning. But none of us know that for sure. None of us know when life will end for us.
Why then are we so surprised when we learn we are going to die? No matter how hard I contemplated this thought, all I got were more questions. Like, why don't we live our lives knowing we are going to die? Why do we try to pretend like we are going to live forever, that we are immortal?
Why do we put off things today saying we can always do them tomorrow and the next when really each day is a blessing. Another day for us to live as we are intended to live. Each moment a gift and that's why it is called the present because that's exactly what it is, a present. Wrapped and presented as we imagine it to be.
I rode behind my daughter feeling the fresh air against my face. Feeling as free as can be knowing that moment was my gift, my present, to accept this life is my only go around in this physical form and I have to live it because before long I will be moving on to the next phase.
Questioning whether I could honestly say I am content with where I am. And if I am not,  what am I going to do to change it knowing every day I am moving closer to death than I am to birth. Each day I am getting older and hopefully wiser so it's up to me to live my life as I see fit.
Each moment we are given is a present, a gift, for us to unwrap and to enjoy for what it is. As we want it to be. To live knowing we are going to pass on from this form to another. Why not enjoy every single moment as if it was our last. Imagine the lives we would lead then? Imagine how much freer we would be. Imagine if we stopped trying to defy the hands of time but accepted them as a reminder that our time is finite how differently we would treat each moment we have.
Then we would truly understand each moment of life is a gift. A present. To live as fully as we can. I rode on feeling grateful for that moment and ever moment thereafter. Enjoying the wind in my face. Enjoying life.

No comments:

Post a Comment