Thursday 5 July 2012

The romance of the full moon


Night before last I stood at my bedroom door and looked out at the big bright full moon. Its light casting shadows all around. Silhouettes . Mystery and Light.
Feeling the flow of good energy coursing through my body. Inhaling the fact that there is nothing more romantic than an unobstructed full moon as we were graced with the other night. Feeling pure joy and gratitude for having the ability to see the moon and its light. Gratitude for taking the time to appreciate it.
I was so enraptured by the moon that I allowed my thoughts to wander to all the joyful times I thought about the moon. The most prominent being spending the time reading the classic book written by Margaret Wise Brown to first my son then my daughter, Good night moon. The words dancing around in my head.
“Good night room. Good night moon. Good night cow jumping over the moon, Good night light, and the red balloon.... Good night stars. Good night air. Goodnight noises everywhere.”
Allowing the silence that came after saying goodnight to the noises everywhere envelop me. Taking me away to a place and time when there was no noise. When life was far simpler. Less complicated. Closing my eyes and allowing the silence to take hold off me. Releasing me from the chatter. Embracing myself. Loving myself for who I am and who I am becoming. And silently whispering thank you to the Universe.
Then my thoughts wandered to the feelings that a full moon can evoke. To the many years when my son was young when I knew a full moon had come or was on its way without looking at a calendar because my son would suddenly not sleep through the night. When he would be fussy and his eyes would be wide open. Staring at something that only he could see. Until eventually I linked his behaviour to the coming of the full moon. To now when he just sleeps through the night and is not affected by the moon anymore.
To those times when I was a young girl and I used to stand outside staring at the full moon wondering how many people across the world were standing looking at the moon at the same time. Wondering what their lives were like. Wondering if they understood what life was all about. Wondering how we could be in different places but experiencing the moon. Thinking about the interconnectedness of us all. One world. One people. One Universe.
To the feelings I felt the other night as I looked out at the full moon. And then when I saw my friend’s photographs capturing the essence of the full moon, I knew I had to write a piece about the romance of the full moon. The effect it has on my soul.  The feelings it evokes and so I did and I enjoyed every moment of exploring my feelings and memories.  Here’s to the cycle of the moon, its waxing and waning. Its light as romantic as can be felt when we allow our minds to go. When we let go and surrender to the wonders around us every single day.
Goodnight moon. Good night stars. Good night air. Good night noises everywhere. 

2 comments:

  1. We saw the same moon. We stopped and were in awe. We thought the same...who sees this?...are they are moved?...this is magic. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still find it amazing that we can see the same moon from different locations around the world. Life truly is magical.

    ReplyDelete