Monday 9 July 2012

Reclaiming the power we all carry within


Yesterday I watched Oprah’s Soul Food Sunday show by chance. I was supposed to be looking for a telephone number for my son and ended up being drawn to the Oprah network. Going with the flow proved to be the greatest gift I gave myself yesterday because I ended up getting a lesson about life from Pastor TD Jakes that shifted my whole mindset.
Pastor Jakes took me on a journey about self discovery that was beyond inspiring, beyond anything I was expecting. And when he walked off the stage, I felt I had so much to shout about. So much to be grateful for. So much to look forward to. So much energy and wellbeing that I felt like a new woman.
Pastor Jakes left me with a thought that reignited a fire deep within my soul when he said, “I am no greater than the thoughts I think.” Let that thought sink.
Now repeat it, “I am no greater than the thoughts I think.”
Did you feel something shift inside you when you said those powerful words? I did and every time I say those words to myself I feel it. I feel a power that I have been suppressing for so long coming back into my whole body. Surging through my veins because I know more than ever that I am a product of my imagination – my own. No one else’s.
So why do I spend so much time worrying about what others think of me? Spend so much time trying to make sure they understand me when it really doesn’t matter. They have no control over my destiny. No control over the direction I want to take in my life. So why am I wasting my power on them?  Draining myself of the power I could be giving to myself to propel me to that place I need and want to be. To that place of total and utter acceptance of who I am and the path I want to be on. Ought to be on.
As Pastor Jakes said, “I cannot climb the mountain of someone’s thoughts.” Forcing me to examine why I am entrusting others to give me what I ought to be giving myself. To recognise that I am where I am because of the thoughts I think and thought. Powerful words. Powerful beyond belief. Powerful beyond measure.
So instead of asking why me and being afraid of what people can do to me, I am now fuelled to know I am the Queen of my own Kingdom. The Royalty of my own Throne.  And my new mantras are,
“I am limited by my thoughts only; not by the thoughts of others.
“I believe in me; not what others believe about me.
“My destiny is in my hands; not in the hands of others.”
Say those words to yourself over and over again and see how they make you feel. I hope as powerful as they did me. Today is a new day. The start of a new week. It’s Monday, usually the day I dread the most of the week. But today I feel different. I feel empowered to know I am as great as the thoughts I think. And so are you. So are we all. Here’s to new beginnings. To reclaiming the power we all carry within.

No comments:

Post a Comment