Tuesday 10 July 2012

The birth of a butterfly


Yesterday morning I learned of the death of my friend Marion Shannon Vance and I was so grateful to Teal Mobiles for letting her friends from far and wide know about her passing.
I wondered if I would ever know if she had passed. Wondered if I would be able to express my gratitude so that her family and friends could know how much she meant to so many people. So I would check every day to see if there was any news about her. And when I read the news, it hit me just how quickly life can change. Just how unprepared we always are for the news of someone’s death. How though I knew her prognosis was not good, I still hoped she would defy the odds and make it through because she was such a fighter. But it just wasn’t meant to be.
And then I reflected on life and death. The circle of life and thought about how we truly are transient beings. Here to learn lessons. Here to teach lessons. But what we have to remember most of all is how little time we have in this physical body. How little time we get to live our lives as we are embodied in this go around.
Surprisingly I did not feel sad for Marion. I felt pleased that she had people who were looking out for her wellbeing and who cared enough about her to let those, who were not close in distance, to know about her crossing over. I am proud to have known a woman who touched so many people. Touched so many lives.
None of us know what is at the end of this journey for us. No one can tell us for sure what going into the light truly does for us. But what we do know for sure is that each day we have here on earth is a day for us to embrace our essence selves. To treat people in the manner that we want to be treated. To remember everyone has a turn at rising and falling. That roles are constantly reversing because this physical body is teaching us all about compassion, love and forgiveness.
So that when the day comes for our physical being to end someone was touched enough by what we represented to them that they want the world to know of our passing. As did many with my friend Marion. Who I now believe truly understands what Deepak Chopra meant when he said, “what the caterpillar thought was the end of the world was the birth of the butterfly.”
 After I wrote this blog in honour of my brave sister, I saw she had created her own butterfly nest, pictured above, which I wanted to share with you 

Fly Marion. Fly. Until the next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment