Thursday 17 May 2012

Writing from a place of Honesty and Authenticity


The blog I wrote yesterday about being in the mud evoked strong emotions from people who read it. The feedback I got from it was amazing. Simply because I was speaking my truth.
One of my friends told me she admires my honesty, authenticity, and my willingness to share.  She said some people will never be able to be as self-reflective and aware as I am. Making me realise this is why I write.
I then decided to watch the BET awards last night. I wasn’t sure why but I felt compelled to watch it even though I had DVRed it ages ago. But last night I wanted to see Dr. Maya Angelou being awarded for her contribution to Literacy. And once again I knew I was being delivered a message from the Universe when Dr. Angelou said in her Thank You speech, “I write the Human Truth.... I come as 1 but I stand as 10,000. ...What you learn, teach. What you get, give.”
Tears rolled down my face. Chills ran up and down my spine. As I understood why I write. I understood why I am here and why each and every day I feel compelled to give through my writing and it is because I have been given this gift of writing to share. To write my human truth as Dr. Angelou does. To share my life experiences and lessons honestly, openly and authentically in the best way I know how. By writing. To help myself to grow and in the process to help those who follow me to grow as well. By writing from a place of compassion, empathy and understanding. From a place of honesty and authenticity. From a place of truth and seeking.
To know that though each of us may come as one, each of us stands together with shared experiences reaching back through the human experience. Passed down from generation to generation. Evoking feelings, memories and hope within us that we forget we have. Instilling the desire within us to live authentic lives because we have the blood, sweat and tears of those who have gone before us, who paved the way for us, to be where we are today as a part of our DNA.
We are not alone. We are never alone. Because each and every one of us has the spirit of the human consciousness as our guide if we are willing to listen to it, honour it, and be grateful for it.
Many question why I write and if I am afraid of what people will say. And sometimes I do question why I write. Sometimes I do question what people will say. But now I remember why I write, through one of the greatest connectors of our time, Dr. Maya Angelou. I write because I write my Human Truth. The Human Truth.
Thank you Dr. Angelou for knowing why the Caged Bird sings and giving writers like me the confidence to write and grow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment