Saturday 5 May 2012

What lens are you seeing life through?


Last night I tried to capture the moon. So close I could see its crevices. So close it looked like a perfect marble. Tried to freeze its beauty into my little phone lens to cherish it. Remember it. But it was not going to let me. I took several pictures. Holding its image in my head trying to replicate what I saw in my head through my little lens but I could not. Instead what I got were images of what my lens could take.
And then I realised I was being taught a lesson. Life represents what we are capable of holding on to. Capable of seeing. Capable of handling. It is the image of what we reflect and project. Therefore it is not the same for any one of us because we are coming at it from very different perspectives. None of us is in a position to judge the actions of others because we have no idea how weak or strong their lens is. We have no idea whether they have the ability to focus their lens. To enhance the images or not. We have no idea whether they are seeing life through a lens that can’t focus thereby causing them to see only blurred images.
I snapped picture after picture of the moon but the one image that captivated me the most was the image of the light from the moon that seemed to change every time I examined it. If I was religious I would say it represented Jesus on the cross. If I was spiritual I would say it is the image of the light inside of us all. If I was a scientist I would say it is the light being reflected back from the flash on my camera. But if I embody all the interpretations of the image I caught, I will understand it is all of these things because the image is merely reflection of the perception of whomever is interpreting it.
Proving to me that I am a product of my imagination and so are you. Limited or expanded by the lens that I have about whatever I am experiencing. And the irony of it all is that the image I thought I was trying to capture turned out not to be the image I was meant to capture. After taking pictures of the moon, I was drawn to my laughing Buddha sitting laughing at me in the vast moon. I took his picture and his image was as clear and as beautiful as the day letting me know that sometimes the image we are trying to capture is not the one we need.
Life is a series of stories, pictures, images, memories, projections, reflections. It is meant to be lived. Experienced. Ridden. Explored. Shared. Having the ability to alter our direction, perception, projection based upon the lens we are seeing through.

4 comments:

  1. Great post. I have so much to say here. As a spiritual person and a photgrpaher. Ive come to believe that we are souls and our experience is limited to the boundries of our human bodies capbilities. Our site, our smell, taste even our longevity is limited by our physical housing. There is more out there than we are able to capture with our human limitations.
    As an artist/photogrpaher I always thinking of my next capture. How to get the light right. how to get the focus right. how to convey a message even if it is a silly one. I'll shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot over and over and over tweaking and changing things. But at the end of the exercise i often find my best photos are the ones that were mistakes or the ones i put the littlest effort into. I call it cutting room floor magic. It was not the photo I envisoned, or the one i was trying to technically create but it was the one i was meant to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for that. I agree totally. We can learn a lot about life from taking photographs. It's what we least expect to take shape that does and fulfills us more than what we thought originally would.

      Delete
  2. I love this! Such a beautiful reminder that we are in charge of how we see the world...and I've decided that perhaps I need a laughing budda to remind me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sister Friend. Life is always answering us . It's just sometimes we are looking through a lens that can't see the answer.

      Delete