Friday 3 January 2014

Confessions of an unexpected #Gladiator

I have a problem and the only way I think I will be able to overcome it, is to confess it. So I am going out on a limb and confessing to the fact that I am totally and utterly addicted to #ABC’s Scandal. And more so to the love affair between #Olivia and #Fitz or #Olitz as they are called. Even writing their names sends tingles up and down my spine. How can this be?
I only became a #Gladiator in December of 2013 as I am not a television watcher in general but I was prepping for a routine procedure that I had to have – those ones that become mandatory when you reach 50! And needed something to help me to get through the process. Everyone, including people I consider to be level headed and intelligent, was talking about this show. This #Scandal and its salacious affairs, twists and turns and its plentiful OMG moments. And when I heard what the storyline was, I thought there was no way I would even enjoy it – after all I have been married for 21 years nearly 22 so why would I want to watch the story of an illicit affair?
But I remember seeing an article about #KerryWashington and #TonyGoldwyn while I was travelling somewhere and remembered the energy that was clearly evident between them – the chemistry – that certain je ne sais quoi – and decided I would give it a go.  So I bought the Season 1 DVD fully expecting to not really enjoy it but to be entertained by it. Never expecting from the first show to be hooked – a #Popehead, through and through. There was no turning back after the first viewing because after each episode I needed to know more. Understand more. See more. There was this connection that would not let me go.
The way @Fitz looks at @Olivia is the way every woman wants her man to look at her. So listen up men, take a page out of Fitz’s book. And then just when I thought I could take no more, the show ended. Season finale until February 27. Leaving me breathless, anxious and going through some serious withdrawal symptoms. So what does a professional, happily married woman, mother of two children and usually highly spiritual woman do to get over her addiction? She goes back and watches the whole series again. This time hooking her husband as well. And then when they finish the series together, she goes back and watches it again. This time under the guise of ironing the clothes that have been piled up for ages in the ironing basket – any legitimate excuse will do to help her through her addiction.
To #ShondaRhimes and #Betsy Beers, I don’t know how you managed to pull together such a wonderful collection of writers, actors and smouldering hot energy between #Fitz and #Olivia but whatever you are doing, keep it up. I am hooked. Totally and utterly. Their ability to communicate without words. The clever way in which the plot of the story, the urgency of the characters slows down when #Fitz and #Olivia are in the room nearly gives me a heart attack.
Like Huck and his Scotch addiction, I am now joining #Scandaholics and chugging back gallons of the smoothest Sancerre – of course in the most delicate crystal wine glass I can find – as a lady never drinks from the bottle - as I watch the art you are portraying – there is no right or wrong, black or white, life is messy, complicated and sometimes we end up on paths we never thought we would take. Not one of us is perfect and sometimes we need to be vulnerable and flawed so that we can know life and love in ways we never dreamed possible. So that we can drown in the fantasy that is reality. Brilliant.
Thanks for the ride #Scandal, #Olitz, #ShondaRhimes. Can’t wait for February 27 – how many more days are left - who would have thought? But now that I have confessed hopefully I can go back to having a normal life again – but if not there are always the Season DVDs, YouTube and whatever else I can get my hands on for my #Scandal fix….Scandalous.



No comments:

Post a Comment