Friday 1 June 2012

It's the first day of June


It’s the first day of June today. Another new month to explore. Another new beginning. Reminding me that there are new beginnings every time we wake up in the morning. Every time we turn the page on something in our lives.
Every time a new month comes along I am reminded of how quickly life is slipping by. How time is not waiting for me or for anyone else. It is ticking along because that’s what it does. Can you believe we are halfway through this year already? I can’t. I remember the beginning of the year coming around and I was thinking about what lay ahead for me. Instead of focusing on what was right in front of me.
And now here it is six months gone and I realise I still have so much living to do. So much possibility I have yet to explore because I think I have so much time to do it in. But time is reminding me I don’t if I don’t seize the moment. Be in the moment.
 I woke up to the sound of pouring rain for the first of June contrary to all the weather reports . Reminding me that we can not predict Mother Nature. She is as temperamental as it comes. Surprising us when we least expect.
I am looking out the window and it is grey, pouring with rain and not a glimmer of sunlight anywhere. The sound of the rain coming and going. Sometimes thunderous.  Other times delicate.  And whenever it stops I can hear the sound of nature coming alive. The tree frogs singing. The birds chirping back and forth. Their volume increases after each downpour. Relief mixed with joy is the sound.
Making me question whether their volume has increased or is it just that I can hear them again because there is a change in sound. Have they been singing all along but because they are constant background noise I don’t hear them unless there is a change?
Is this my lesson for today? That sometimes we have to remember and appreciate what’s there in the background every single day. Not take it for granted. Not dismiss its importance or presence. Are the things in the background of our lives there to provide a touchstone for us all? To remind us we need them in our lives every day to remain focused. Constantly there even when all else around us is changing.
It’s dark and rainy outside on this first day of June. The month when Spring gives way to Sumner. When Hurricane season officially starts. When heat unlike any other comes rolling in. When the longest daylight of the year occurs. And then it gradually gets shorter each day thereafter.
And today is not what I expected reminding me to expect the unexpected and just go with it. Feel it. Ride it. Live it and be grateful for every unexpected moment as well as expected ones. Here’s to a month of change – the only constant in our lives. And here’s to the pouring rain. Background characters, sounds and things that ground us. Keep us focused.
Here’s to the month of June. Whatever it may bring. Miracles. Surprises. Magic. Shifts. The Expected and Unexpected.  And the Unexplained.

1 comment:

  1. Loving your journey through life and the sharing. Your vision and your words move me to be more connected...to be more inspired...to live more in awe... Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete