Wednesday 13 June 2012

A Journey just begun


“Well friends ,this is probably the hardest thing that I have had to post. as is it here in my Hospital room waiting to go home. The doctor has told me that I probably have six months to live. While I hope I have more time you never know. Thank you for all of your continued support.”
This was a message I came home to from a woman I met by chance in May of 2010. She and I were two of the top ten fundraisers for the O Live your Best Life walk through New York. Earning us the right to walk side by side with Oprah on a very chilly Mother’s Day. Treated like VIPs for a short time in the morning until it was time to start the walk.
We stood on stage with Ms. Oprah – all of us giddy with excitement at the opportunity to share the stage with our role model. We left the stage behind Oprah as she started the walk. And then there was a stampede of people as we tried to assume our positions. Chaos ensued and Oprah, for her own safety, was whisked out of the walk to avoid being crushed by the overexcited walkers.
At first I walked alone. Wondering how I had come so close to my dream yet so far away from it. Feeling somewhat sorry for myself. Knowing my chances of being in the presence of Oprah had been dashed. I walked on thinking, grumbling until I encountered a woman that I recognised as one of my fellow top ten fundraisers. She looked like she needed company. So I slowed down to her pace. Chatting with her. Encouraging her. We stayed with each other getting to know each other. Arm in arm sometimes as she told me of her courageous journey to raise as much money as she could because she had been diagnosed with Ovarian cancer. She was in remission at the time. Saying it was her dream to walk with Oprah. My heart went out to her because here I was feeling sorry for myself when this woman had fought cancer and had made it her mission to come to walk with Oprah. Realizing my upset was nothing compared to hers. Feeling shame flowing through me as I looked at my new friend.
I knew instantly she had been sent to me as an angel to wake me up to all I had to be grateful for. I looked her deep in the eyes and saw a light deep within them. A sparkle. So I stayed with her. Walked with her. Talked about life with her. Giving up on being at the front of the crowd walking across the finish line. Accepting this woman’s side was where I was meant to be.
Taking in her spirit. Her determination. We forged a friendship despite the fact we were from different worlds. Two women thrust together in a shared dream of meeting Oprah. Our friendship, though distant, has remained through the power of Facebook. Me in Bermuda. She in Texas. Like two sisters encouraging each other through our trials. Sneaking into each other’s lives whenever necessary. Checking in with each other when the need is there.
And then I came home and saw this post from her and chills ran through me. Tears stinging my eyes as I thought about my sister.  Thinking wow, even with her end looming she is still reaching out. Still fighting. Still informing. Still being the beautiful and strong woman I met two years ago. Not by chance but by life’s synchronicity.
I felt sad because I wondered what she was thinking. How she was truly feeling. How she felt posting that she was facing the end of her human days and could be about to pass through the doors of eternity. A place we are all guaranteed to go. A place none of us will escape.
The difference being she now has somewhat of an end date – could be more or less. How does that make one feel? What are we meant to do knowing the end is near? Do we look back or forward or is it at that time that we realise and understand now is all we have and we truly accept its meaning for what it is.
I had to write this post to my dear friend because she is my inspiration and my reminder that we all have to live our best lives because it’s all we’ve got. And the irony is that’s how I met my friend. Two women who started a campaign as strangers in different parts of the world ending a walk as lifelong friends despite our differences and distance. True friendship remains even when there is nothing more to say. True friendship endures. Because there are no expectations.
To my beautiful friend in Texas may you live your best life ever from now on. I’ll be rooting for you. With love. With gratitude. With sadness and happiness. With faith. And without regret. It is what it is. Your journey has just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment